- FV Hospital, SNEC provide free eye surgeries for poor patients
- VNIO provides free eye surgery for 200 poor Laotians
- Vietnam provides free eye surgery for 200 disadvantaged Laotians
- Prudential Vietnam, NFVC provide free eye surgeries for 200 kids
- Vietnamese doctors provide free eye surgery for poor Lao patients
Doctors from the Vietnam National Institute of Ophthalmology (VNIO) have conducted 200 eye surgeries for poor people in Quang Xuong district, Thanh Hoa province and Vu Quang district, Ha Tinh province. All surgeries totaled VND400 million were donated by Viettel Group.
Over the past three years, the mobile surgery team of the VNIO offered free eye surgery to provide better vision to nearly 5,000 poor people in the northern and north central provinces. Money for surgery has been donated by many businesses and individuals both domestically and abroad. VNIO doctors also transferred advanced surgery technologies to local doctors to help people in remote and mountainous areas access modern eye treatment services. They also disseminated information to improve people’s awareness on eye care and treatment.
Currently, Vietnam has more than 2 million blind people and thousands of people with impaired eyesight. There are also thousands of new cases of blindness every year. One-third of them are poor people who cannot afford eye treatment or surgery.
The country aims to reduce the blind rate to below 0.3 percent of total population by 2020.