Mother Goddess Worship or Dao Mau, which began in the 16th century in Vietnam, is the worship of the incarnation of nature goddesses. The practice of the belief in Mother Goddesses has been recognized by UNESCO as an intangible cultural heritage of humanity.
That was a piece of Hau Dong or trance ritual in Hanoi.
Prof. Ngo Duc Thinh, a researcher of the Dao Mau which worships mother goddesses, said going into a trance is a communication between deities and humans mediated by a medium. The ritual is the most important element of the Mother Goddess Worship belief.
“The trance ritual usually takes place in March and August. Deities are incarnated in male or female mediums in ceremony accompanied by music and dance. Each ceremony may comprise of up to 36 incarnations of deities, who are believed to bless human prayers,” he said.
vietnam’s mother goddess worship, a world intangible heritage hinh 0
Dao Mau worships three Mother Goddesses, representing the three realms of the universe: Heaven, Water, and Mountains and Forests. Goddess Lieu Hanh is in charge of the Heaven, Mau Thuong Ngan is in charge of Mountains and Forests, and Mau Thoai takes care of Water. In other Vietnamese subculture, Mother Goddesses have evolved from mythic figures or real historical figures who rendered great services to the nation.
Mother Goddess Worship is a fusion of Vietnamese and foreign religions: Taoism and Buddhism. Mother Goddesses have arisen from the Kinh majority and other ethnic groups of Vietnam.
“The belief in Mother Goddesses originated in the northern delta: Nam Dinh, Thanh Hoa, and Ninh Binh province. Places of goddess worship are called temples. There are big temples in honor of Goddess Lieu Hanh in Nam Dinh and at Hanoi’s West Lake,”, said Prof. Ngo Duc Thinh.
Nguyen Van Tien, who often attends trance rituals, said Mother Goddesses are believed to protect humans and bring them wealth, good luck, and health.
“Dao Mau advises people to live with a warm heart and remember their ancestors. Worshiped figures are often national heroes or heroines, who devoted their lives to the people and the country”, he said.
The Vietnamese believe that all natural phenomena – droughts, floods, favorable weather, or disasters – are under the mysterious power of Mother Goddesses. If a person is blessed by a Mother Goddess, his or her life will be more secure.
Nguyen Tien Dung, a researcher of belief culture, said this is the core value of Mother Goddess Worship.
“A trance ritual combines artistic aspects: music, singing, dancing, flower arranging, martial arts, sculpture, origami, fashion, and food. This belief teaches humans to be kindhearted and friendly. People believe their prayers for favorable weather, peace, and happiness will be heard”, said Dung.
- Navratri special: The nine forms of Goddess Durga
- Spotlight: Closer traditional stage cooperation helps foster China-Vietnam friendship, lure young generations
- A Belgian parade may lose its place on UNESCO's World Heritage List after it allowed an anti-Semitic float
- Sail the world like it's 1519 (with not a mutiny in sight)
- Int’l Fashion & Beauty Festival to star 100 child models
- Int’l Fashion&Beauty Festival to star 100 child models
- Buddhist pagoda inaugurated in Co To Island
- National Tourism Year 2020 to be launched in Ninh Binh
- Artist gives fresh coat to traditional paintings
- Festival showcases Hoa Binh Province's traditional food and handicrafts
- Festival showcases Hòa Bình Province's traditional food and handicrafts
- Artist’s life put into a book
- Chinese vessel on Philippine coral reef caught with illegal pangolin meat
- Civilization 6 Religion and Faith explained - how to earn Faith, found Pantheons and more in Civ 6
- The 100 Best Screenwriters of All Time
- Nine Reasons Why We Celebrate Akshay Tritiya
- In Hindsight
- LUCY MANGAN: From protein balls to mini chia-seed pudding... We're being poisoned by the cult of wellness
- Scourge and poet
- She's safe in our hands! Young construction boss, 32, at centre of Notre Dame fire probe boasted about his firm's ability to protect historic sites as his company won £5million contract to repair cathedral's spire
Vietnam’s mother goddess worship, a world intangible heritage have 648 words, post on dtinews.vn at December 10, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.