Tesla CEO Elon Musk suggested Wednesday that he can create a car-sharing network that's so good, customers will abandon Uber and other ride-sharing companies in droves to adopt it.
During an earnings call Wednesday, Musk was asked to explain whether his proposed car sharing network, dubbed the Tesla Network, would generate revenue for Tesla or help Tesla owners offset the costs of their vehicles. In response, Musk made some cryptic comments about the scope of his so-called "Tesla Network."
Musk said people have been characterizing his car-sharing proposal as "Tesla versus Uber or Lyft or something like that. It's not Tesla versus Uber, it's the people versus Uber." There was no follow-up question, so Musk's statement was left hanging like that.
In his recently released "Master Plan Part Deux," Musk writes, "When true self-driving is approved by regulators, it will mean that you will be able to summon your Tesla from pretty much anywhere." Also, Tesla owners will be able to add their car to a “Tesla shared fleet” — likely an on-demand ride-hailing service that will allow the vehicle to give autonomous rides to the general public while the owner is at work or on vacation. Musk’s vision is that if this system is used enough, the vehicle could potentially pay for itself.
But Tesla also wants to ensure its customers are ride-sharing and car-sharing within its network, not some other company like Uber. Tesla updated its semi-autonomous Autopilot fine print to ban vehicle owners from using their newly self-driving Tesla Model X to pick up a few fares for Uber or Lyft when the technology finally launches in a few years. That seems to be setting the stage for an epic showdown as the technology around self-driving cars evolves.
- Who is Elon Musk? The SpaceX and Tesla boss is the man that's sending us to Mars
- Elon Musk: 200K Preorders For Tesla Cybertruck
- Elon Musk makes the argument that we're living in a simulation
- Tesla promises to investigate exploding car in China as Elon Musk unveils robotaxi plan
- Lego mocks Tesla over Elon Musk's embarrassing Cybertruck reveal with their own 'guaranteed shatterproof' vehicle
- Elon Musk Explains Why the Cybertruck Windows Smashed
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk on why we should think we are "very dumb"
- Fortnite blackout: Elon Musk hints 'he is responsible' with cryptic tweet
- Things Are Going Insanely Well for Elon Musk Since Trump Got Elected
- Elon Musk to testify in 'pedo guy' defamation case for comments made against Vernon Unsworth
- Elon Musk assembles his robot army: Leaked pictures show the hundreds of robot workers that will build Telsa's Model 3 being set up
- Why Elon Musk’s Claim of 200,000 Cybertruck Preorders Probably Won’t Become 200,000 Sales
- What the chaotic launch of Tesla’s Cybertruck tells us about Elon Musk
- Time for Elon Musk to step down as Tesla CEO: Top investor
- Talking on broken glass: Elon Musk explains that Tesla’s Cybertruck window shattered during the launch event because it had been damaged by an earlier sledgehammer hit to the vehicle's door
- Elon Musk explains why Tesla Cybertruck's glass was shattered by steel ball
- Elon Musk to testify in own defense in defamation trial, his lawyer says
- Tesla’s Elon Musk Reveals Reason for Cybertruck Demo Mishap when “Armored Glass” Shattered
- Tesla Cybertruck Fiasco Drops Elon Musk’s Net Worth $770 Million
- 5 reasons why you shouldn’t be surprised Elon Musk smoked weed
Elon Musk makes cryptic comments about Tesla competing with Uber have 564 words, post on www.theverge.com at October 26, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.