LUTZ, FL – While poppies may be the traditional symbol of remembering veterans, a local organization is encouraging area residents to join a new nationwide trend.
Land O’ Lakes-based Books for Troops is selling pinwheels for people to place in their gardens and yards.
“Neighbors and businesses across our country are recognizing our veterans by displaying red, white and blue pinwheels,” said Patricia Murphy, the executive director of Books for Troops. “These pinwheels are a visual reminder of our collective responsibility and our promise to support the veterans in our community.”
Many local organizations and businesses already planted pinwheel “gardens,” such as Lutz Memorial Park, Veterans Memorial Park, Meadow Pointe Clubhouse III, Sierra Properties across from Tampa Premium Outlet Mall and Psychological Assessment Resources.
There are five different pinwheel donation bundles ranging in price from $50 to $1,000. The deadline to order the pinwheel bundles is Tuesday, Nov. 1.
“Now is the time to plan your gardens,” Murphy said. “Whether you display one pinwheel, or a hundred, you help spread the message that we honor those who have served.”
Books for Troops provides recreational and education reading materials to enrich the lives of military personnel and veterans free of charge. The group collects and ships books to soldiers who are deployed and veterans who are hospitalized or in nursing homes.
The group also participates in the USO’s United Through Reading Program, which allows deployed troops the ability to read their children a bedtime book and virtually be there.
Books for Troops accepts new and like-new book donations at the Meadow Pointe III clubhouse, 1500 Meadow Point Blvd. in Wesley Chapel or at Simply Self Storage, 22831 Preakness Blvd. in Land O’ Lakes during business hours.
For more information on how to purchase pinwheels, or to make an online donation, call (813) 991-6152 or visit www.BooksforTroops.org.
Images courtesy of Books for Troops
- Veterans Day 2018: Where Vets, Military Personnel Can Eat Free
- REVEALED: Police seized shotgun from Marines chief days before he killed himself with questions raised over missed 'red flag'
- Your Favorite Children’s Books
- Jackie Collins's £131million fortune included a gold Jaguar and first edition books
- States observe International Yoga Day
- New ceremony set up to remember Nelson's Boer War veterans
- DNC 2020 Day 2: Joe Biden gets enough delegates to clinch Democratic nomination for president
- Book World: The schemes and ambitions of Joseph P. Kennedy, undiplomatic ambassador
- Essay: Should We Have War Crime Trials?
- The Negro in the Regular Army
- Captain Tom Moore to release autobiography in support of new charity
- Smiley: Jiminy, you ever heard such racket?
- 'It's huge' PCR tests scrapped for travel could save tourists £200
- Halloween events and things to do with the kids for half term 2021
- The Secret Toll of Racial Ambiguity
- How LSD Saved One Woman’s Marriage
- How Ray Dalio made £10billion fortune - starting with £220 investment at just 12-years-old
- Costa del Sol hails huge tourism boost thanks to Boris holiday 'Woken from a nightmare!'
- How much Green Britain will cost UK taxpayers - the staggering amount
- The deadliest path in Britain: From quicksand to missing bodies
Books For Troops Encourages Pinwheel Gardens For Veterans Day have 495 words, post on patch.com at October 12, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.