Da Nang (VNA) – The central city of Da Nang should roll out communication campaigns on dengue fever prevention on a larger scale and with diverse methods, focusing on densely-populated areas.
This was among tasks spelled out by Director of the Nha Trang based Pasteur Institute Vien Quang Mai who led a delegation of the Health Ministry to inspect Da Nang’s dengue fever prevention on August 16.
Apart from tightly covering water containers to hinder mosquitoes from laying eggs and spraying mosquito repellent, the city should encourage people displaying dengue fever symptoms to come to medical centres to receive timely treatment, he said.
Mai suggested establishing a municipal steering committee for dengue fever combat, training health workers and heads of residential areas in dengue fever prevention skills and paying heed to other diseases during this rainy season.
Mentioning the fifth Asian Beach Games to be hosted by the central city from September 24-October 3, 2016, the official reminded the municipal health sector to keep a closer eye on food safety and disease prevention.
According to Ton That Thanh, Director of the Da Nang Centre of Preventive Medicine, the locality has recorded 2,240 dengue cases so far this year, with Son Tra, Hai Chau and Thanh Khe districts reporting the highest numbers of infections.
He blamed the outbreak of the disease on the mosquito’s breeding cycle which peaks in the rainy season, recent rising temperatures and droughts due to the impacts of the El Nino and negligence of localities and residents.
Statistics from the Health Ministry’s General Department of Preventive Medicine showed that the number of people that contracted dengue fever in the first six months of this year reached over 44,800, more than 2.5 times higher than the same period last year.
Many new cases have been reported in localities including Dak Lak, Dak Nong, Gia Lai and Kon Tum, An Giang, Dong Thap, Khanh Hoa, Phu Yen, Binh Dinh and HCM City.
Given this, the ministry has established eight inspection teams to supervise and assist dengue fever prevention activities in 18 localities suffering the most from dengue fever throughout the country.-VNA
- A ‘perfect storm’: the steady rise of dengue fever worldwide
- One suspected case of dengue fever reported on Guam
- Public Health: Suspected dengue fever case not dengue
- Dengue fever on Guam: What you need to know
- Philippines declares dengue fever epidemic
- Honduran hospitals overrun by dengue fever epidemic
- Health officials confirm 13th death following Strep A outbreak
- Uganda begins trial of Ebola vaccine: health officials
- Philippines declares a national dengue epidemic after 622 deaths
- How the malaria vaccine could change world health
- Yap schools closed to slow dengue, leptospirosis outbreak
- 'We are scared': Deadly dengue outbreak overwhelms Bangladesh
- DPHSS reports another case of imported dengue on Guam
- Public Health issues dengue warning
- Bangladesh struggles to contain record dengue outbreak
- Marshalls confirms first dengue death
- Medicare official investigates complaints at GMH
- North Korea hit by African swine fever outbreak
- Stop adding THC to e-cigarettes: US health authorities
- Suspected dengue carrier traveled from the Philippines
Health officials inspect Da Nang’s dengue fever prevention have 485 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at August 16, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.