Germany winger Marco Reus – who was fined half a million euros in 2014 after it emerged he had been driving for years without a licence – has finally passed his test.
The 27-year-old sat out June’s European championships with a groin injury as Germany lost to France in the semi-finals, but used his time in the off-season to swot up on his skills behind the wheel and prepare for the theory test.
“Yes, it’s true that I’ve passed my driving test. I am pleased that this chapter is now closed,” the Borussia Dortmund star told German daily Bild.
Reus, who has won 29 caps for Germany, passed his theory and practical parts of the test on Monday and picked up his brand-new licence on the way to training on Tuesday.
Reus hit the headlines in November 2014 when it emerged he had been driving for years without a valid licence.
Due to his high salary, he was fined €540,000 by the district court in Dortmund after he had submitted a fake Dutch driving licence when routinely stopped by police.
“I had unfortunately decided to take this path [driving without a licence] and to this day I can’t even understand myself why I did that,” he said in 2014, after also missing the last World Cup with injury.
Having sat out Borussia’s 2-0 defeat at home to Bayern Munich in the German Super Cup on Sunday, Reus is expected to return to Dortmund training soon, but is set to miss their opening German league match at home to Mainz on August 27.
Dortmund are back in the Champions League this season after a year’s absence after finishing second to Bayern in the Bundesliga last season.
- Fee for driver's licence & driving tests hiked
- How to become a racing driver – make getting a National B (ARDS) race licence your new year's resolution
- Kia gets licence to test autonomous tech in Nevada
- Play a board game, get a driving licence
- Proposal 23: How it came about, and what it means for high school football's future
- Favre pleased with Reus' form for Dortmund
- How old do you have to be to drive in the UK and do you have to retake your test at 75?
- How do I update my driving licence to change my address, can I do it at the Post Office and will I be fined if I don’t?
- 75-year-old great grandma finally passes her driving test having started lessons half a century ago
- Hugh Freeze’s ‘violations’ tweet inspired years of emails to Ole Miss
- Sex at 60 mph? Self-driving cars can be bedrooms on wheels
- Best Porsche driving experience days you can buy in 2018
- Alabama vs. Clemson: Score, results highlights from Clemson's dismantling of Alabama in the College Football Playoff championship
- Alabama vs. Clemson results: Score, highlights as Tigers dismantle Tide for College Football Playoff title
- 3-peat is oh so sweet for Highland Park, which hands first-year Shadow Creek its first loss
- Your step-by-step guide to the college football offseason
- Allen gets revenge on The Woodlands in close contest between state powers
- Celebrity Drive: Bill Goldberg – TV host, Actor, Former Wrestler
- Longview’s 81-year drought without a state title is over after classic with Beaumont West Brook
- College football Week 12 picks against the spread for every top-25 game
Footballer Reus gets licence after driving illegally for years have 531 words, post on www.thelocal.de at August 16, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.