Mekong Delta loses $210 million to drought and salinity By Bernama  June 28, 2016 | 11:10 am GMT+7 Vietnam’s Mekong Delta has suffered losses worth more than VND4.7 trillion ($210 million) due to the severe and prolonged drought and saltwater intrusion during dry season, Malaysian National News Agency Bernama cited the Southwest Region Steering Committee as saying. More than 221,000 hectares of rice, 6,500 hectares of vegetables and 26,500 hectares of fruits and industrial trees were affected, said the committee. Paddy grown on 128,205 hectares was also completely destroyed. The drought and saltwater intrusion also caused a freshwater shortage for 225,000 households in the coastal provinces of Ben Tre, Soc Trang and Kien Giang. Rains have now arrived in the delta and farmers are growing new vegetable crops, sowing the autumn-winter rice crop and farming shrimp again. Farmers are set to grow only 860,000 hectares of rice in the autumn-winter crop, down from the original plan of 900,300 hectares, according to the Plant Cultivation Department. This is due to the decline in rice prices and unfavorable export conditions, according to the department. At the same time, it is now the peak harvest season for the summer-autumn rice, but with unusually… Read full this story
- Delta expects $30 million hit on Hurricane Florence flight cancellations
- MGM Springfield offering losing Mega Millions ticket holders another chance to get rich
- Cherry Hill district to seek voter approval for $210 million proposal
- $210 million St. Paul archdiocese bankruptcy settlement approved
- Shape Up Houston challenges Houstonians to lose one million pounds in the Million Pound Challenge
- American Cities Lose 36 Million Trees a Year. But There’s a Radical New Plan to Save Them.
- Reed Smith Partner’s Widow Loses $3 Million Verdict on Appeal
- Chinese restaurant chain loses $190 million after pregnant woman claims to find rat in soup
- Cord cutting accelerates as pay TV loses 1 million customers in largest-ever quarterly loss
- Japan digital currency exchange hacked_ losing $60 million
Mekong Delta loses $210 million to drought and salinity have 321 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at June 27, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.