Hanoi (VNA) – Vietnamese students won six gold medals in the second round of the Asia-Pacific Mathematics Olympiad for Primary Schools (APMOPS) 2016, held in Singapore recently.
The result places the Vietnamese delegation at the top of the leaderboard in the second round, followed by strong competitors from China, Singapore and Taiwan.
The Vietnamese delegation comprises 10 students from Hanoi-Amsterdam High School; Archimedes Academy; the secondary schools of Giang Vo, Phuong Mai, Nguyen Truong To and Le Quy Don; and Doan Thi Diem Primary School.
Teacher Vuong Thi Thanh accompanied the students to the contest. She said the 10 students had won platinum medals in the first round of APMOPS 2016, which took place in April this year, competing against 473 students from the region.
The six students who won the gold medals are Ngo Quy Dang, Tran Xuan Bach, Nguyen Hoang Trung and Cao Thuy An, as well as Pham Truong Dat and Tran Dac Nhat Anh. Five of them are in the top 10, together with five other students from Shanghai (China), Taiwan and Singapore.
The second round of APMOPS 2016 took place from May 25 to May 29 and saw participation from 260 students from 13 countries and territories in the Asia-Pacific region.
The youngest student of the Vietnamese delegation, Tran Xuan Bach, who ranked first in the first round, was in third place in the second round.
This was his fifth gold medal won at an international mathematics competition for the 2015-2016 school year.
APMOPS, organised by the Hwa Chong Institution, is an annual event that aims to generate increased interest in mathematics amongst pupils in primary schools, encouraging them to sharpen their problem-solving skills.-VNA
- And The Winner Is: Will Awards And Contests Lead To Bigger Things?
- Union Finance Budget for Financial Year 2007-2008, Government of India... (India is Shining)
- Most Colleges Require Letters Of Recommendation
- Throw an "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader" Party
- Emergency Lesson Plans, Real Lifesaving Tools for Teachers
- 6 Steps Necessary to Transform American High Schools
- Adventure Travel in Vietnam - Organized or Independent?
- The Right Tool for the Job
- High School Activities and Sports: 10 Dynamite Tips to Build College Application Resumes
- Current Cambodia's Prevalent Diarrheas and My Simplified Resolutions
- A Mathematician Plays The Stock Market By John Allen Paulos
- Cambodia and Back
- Namibia - The Land God Made In Anger
- The Beginner's Guide to Freelance Writing
- Democratic Kampuchea: An Irresponsible Government
- Be Different! Stand Out During the College Admissions Process
- Creating the Acceptable College Applicant
- Online College Programs - How to Apply
- The Best Advertising for Your Dollar: Newspaper, Radio, TV or Internet? How To Tell Which is Best
- Brainchild of English Teacher Turns Learning Inside Out
Vietnamese students shine at regional maths contest have 421 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at May 30, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.