A Star Wars production company is to be prosecuted over an injury to Harrison Ford during the filming of box office smash The Force Awakens, the Health and Safety Executive has announced.
Ford, who was reportedly paid more than $34m to reprise his role as Han Solo in the revived space opera saga, was hurt by a hydraulic metal door of the Millennium Falcon during an on-set accident in June 2014 at Pinewood Studios near London. The incident saw the 73-year-old sidelined for almost two months, with director JJ Abrams forced to halt production in order for the actor to recover.
The HSE is prosecuting Foodles Production (UK) Ltd over the incident. The BBC reports the firm, which is based at Disney’s UK headquarters in Hammersmith, London, was the primary production company behind The Force Awakens.
The national watchdog said it believed there was sufficient evidence to bring four charges relating to alleged health and safety breaches against the firm. A spokesperson said: “By law, employers must take reasonable steps to protect workers – this is as true on a film set as a factory floor.”
Ford, who was airlifted to hospital following the incident, was reportedly left with serious injuries. There has been no suggestion that the actor himself is considering action against Disney.
The Force Awakens passed $2bn at the global box office earlier this month and was easily 2015’s highest-grossing film. Its sequel, currently titled only Star Wars: Episode VIII, has already begun shooting at Pinewood under the stewardship of director Rian Johnson.
- 'We were partners in film and friends in life for over 30 years and I loved him': Harrison Ford leads tributes to Peter Mayhew after 7ft 3ins actor who played Han Solo's sidekick Chewbecca dies aged 74
- Hilarious moment Star Wars' character Chewbacca speaks English to Han Solo during an outtake for The Empire Strikes Back as fans pay tribute to the late actor who played him
- Harry Styles almost had a huge Star Wars role!
- Stripper, 43, decapitated her boyfriend's Star Wars-obsessed disabled son after having sex with him in return for drugs
- Sentencing adjourned in Fullers ferry docking case that left woman with severe head injury
- The war on drugs failed. It's time for a war on abuse
Star Wars to be prosecuted for alleged health and safety breaches over Harrison Ford injury have 407 words, post on www.theguardian.com at February 11, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.