What’s in a name?
A British school has been forced to rebrand because it was called “The Isis Academy.”
Staff at the school, now called the Iffley Academy, decided to make the change after students were asked if they were training to be terrorists.
The school was initially named after the Isis, part of the River Thames that flows nearby, according to Mirror Online.
Kay Willett, head teacher at the school in Oxford, England, said she decided to make the change because of the association with Islamic State terrorists.
“You would give the address out on the phone and when you said ‘Isis’ the person would pause and say ‘Oh,’” she said.
“Anybody who did not know the nature of the school would make comments like ‘Are you training the children to be terrorists?'”
The 132-student special school, that teaches students with a range of disabilities and mental health needs, has now changed over all their school signs to read “The Iffley Academy.”
“It became so prevalent in the media that if you Googled ‘ISIS’ you got a mixture of photos of terrorists and photos of our kids,” Willett added.
“The children themselves were beginning to pick up on the fact [that] there were negative comments and we wanted them to be able to be proud of their school.”
- British woman, 26, killed fighting ISIS in Syria still lies in rubble SIX WEEKS later because Turkish forces yet to return it
- Sajid Javid calls for controversial spit hoods to be rolled out across British police forces
- Armed forces must have pay rise to entice new recruits, defence minister says
- Weary Iraqis seek stability in first poll since Isis pushed out – as PM looks to limit Iran influence
- Roman Polanski sues Academy Awards organisation over his dismissal
- High schools: Pembroke softball runs winning streak to 10 with 2-1 win over Windham
- Afghan forces mistakenly kill civilians and police in raid on suspected Isis base
- ISIS terror suspect ‘posted chilling photo of Prince George outside his school next to Jihadi fighter’
- Cost pressures on schools have made it 'challenging' to manage budgets, Damian Hinds admits
- Whether Armenia, the Nazis or Isis – if you're going to commit genocide, you can’t do it without the help of local people
- World Cup 2018 in Russia faces major ISIS attacks as expert warns terrorists are looking to ramp up bombings during Ramadan
- Paris attack latest: Isis claims responsibility for multiple stabbing in Opera district
- Texas school ends 'birthday spankings' after complaints
- Threat to take tax breaks from private schools for failing to help state schools is dropped, in government U-turn
- Religious boarding school raided in Alabama reopens in Missouri
- Councils forced to raid funds for overstretched state schools to support rise in number of special needs children
- Government hikes fees to renounce British citizenship after Brexit foreign nationality surge
- Director Roman Polanski calls Me Too movement ‘mass hysteria’
- Grammar school education has no positive impact on student’s self-esteem, study finds
- Tens of thousands of children become severely obese in primary school, figures show
British school forced into rebrand because it was called 'The Isis Academy' have 491 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at February 8, 2016. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.