Nguyen Thi Quynh Nga during a fashion show in Hanoi. Photo credit: VnExpress
A Hanoi model is likely to face a cash fine after entering herself into a regional beauty pageant without permission from the culture ministry, local media reported.
Nguyen Thi Quynh Nga, 20, is now competing at the Miss Southeast Asia, formerly named Miss Tourism Queen International, in Malaysia, alongside participants from eight other countries in the region.
Nga told local media that her invitation letter came too late and that she did not have time to seek permission from culture officials.
Her spokesperson said the organizers had paid for her air tickets and hotel room so she decided to join the contest, despite a possible cash fine.
Nga is willing to receive penalties when coming back to Vietnam, the spokesperson said.
The contest began on September 24 and will conclude on October 3.
Quynh Nga (1st, R, second row) attends an event at the ongoing beauty contest Miss Southeast Asia in Malaysia. Photo credit: VnExpress
Officials said they will make a decision on the case soon.
According to Vietnam’s official rules, those who want to compete in beauty pageants abroad must have at least one national title and must secure permission from the culture ministry.
However, as the maximum cash fine is only VND30 million, or $1,400, and a three-month working ban, a number of models have broken the rule over the past few years, in hopes of winning an international title to give themselves a career boost in Vietnam.
At last year’s Miss Tourism Queen International, a Vietnamese contestant was found violating the rule. Dieu Linh was fined VND22.5 million, after winning the Miss South East Asia title at the event.
- Who was eliminated from Dancing on Ice 2020 tonight? Plus remaining contestants
- The rise of the ready meal
- Love Island’s Arabella Chi reveals cameras even watch contestants on the LOO
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JAN. 21
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JAN. 23
- It’s a no-grainer: Time for Việt Nam to create a rice brand
- Phuong My Bridal nominated for UK fashion awards
- Best straighteners for thick hair 2020: Find the best products from Ghd, BaByliss and Remington
- 'Facebook, Google are like East India Company'
- The Ghosts of the ’68 Election Still Haunt Our Politics
- Forty years on from the fall of Saigon: witnessing the end of the Vietnam war
- Q&A: Pete Buttigieg on the monumental task of cleaning up Trump’s mess
- How TV-am created a legion of stars: After Ulrika Jonsson reprised her weather girl role, FEMAIL reveals the VERY different paths its presenters have taken - from prime time stardom to selling jewellery on QVC
- The Best Business Desktops for 2020
- On the Bus With B.B. King
- What does your £10 manicure really cost? The unvarnished truth about nail bars
- Biochemist who dreams of being like Bill Nye is crowned Miss America moments after donning a lab coat to wow the crowd with a fun science experiment on stage
- Expo 2015: what does Milan gain by hosting this bloated global extravaganza?
- One of These People Could Beat Trump, Right?
- I Have a Feeling We’re Not in New York Anymore
Vietnamese model competes illegally in regional beauty contest, ready for cash fine have 506 words, post on at September 29, 2015. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.