The consortium of Japan’s Marubeni Corporation and Korea’s Korea Electric Company started the construction of the Nghi Son 2 coal fired power plant after two years received build-operate-transfer contract with the total investment capital of $2.3 billion.
Located in the central province of Thanh Hoa, 1,200 megawatt Nghi Son 2 was announced by the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam in 2008, and is the first international tender project for a large-scale coal-fired power plant in Vietnam.
It is expected to come online in 2019 for its first turbine and completed fully in 2020.
Yesterday the state-run Petro Vietnam also officially ran its coal-fired Vung Ang 1 thermal power plant in central province of Ha Tinh which would contribute 7.2 billion kWh per year to the national grid, ensuring sufficient power supply for the national electricity system, especially central provinces.
The construction on the $1.25-billion plant started in July 2009. The first turbine of the 1,200MW plant began operational in August 2014, while the second one started generating electricity in April this year, contributing a total of three billion kWh to the national grid so far.
Also in Ha Tinh last week, Taiwan’s Fomosa Group inaugurated the first 150MW coal-fired plant to supply for its $9 billion steel and seaport complex.
By Phuong Thu
- Pego coal-fired power plant to close in 2022
- Last SSE coal-fired power plant to close
- Chile to close eight coal-fired power stations
- The last coal-fired power station in Wales is to close
- Yerkovetskoye coal mine, power plant cost seen at 289.8 bln rbl
- UK goes a week without coal-fired power for first time
- The computer brains making power plants more efficient
- Letter: Why sudden objections to power plant proposal?
- 50 US coal power plants shut under Trump
- Foreign companies keen to build wind power plant in country
- ADB to allocate funds for solar power plant in Kazakhstan
- Montenegro to Grill Albania Over River Power Plants
- Russia now has a floating nuclear power plant
- Russia launches floating nuclear power plant Akademik Lomonosov
- SSE plans to close its last coal-fired plant
- Vietnam to operate 88 solar power plants by June
- Britain smashes coal-free power record with 10-day run
- RDIF, partners invest in RT-Invest’s 4 waste power plants
- Ridgell has heated exchange with CCU over power plant contract
- Power plant agreement moves forward
Construction starts at Nghi Son 2 coal-fired power plant have 360 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at September 18, 2015. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.