The consortium of Japan’s Marubeni Corporation and Korea’s Korea Electric Company started the construction of the Nghi Son 2 coal fired power plant after two years received build-operate-transfer contract with the total investment capital of $2.3 billion.
Located in the central province of Thanh Hoa, 1,200 megawatt Nghi Son 2 was announced by the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam in 2008, and is the first international tender project for a large-scale coal-fired power plant in Vietnam.
It is expected to come online in 2019 for its first turbine and completed fully in 2020.
Yesterday the state-run Petro Vietnam also officially ran its coal-fired Vung Ang 1 thermal power plant in central province of Ha Tinh which would contribute 7.2 billion kWh per year to the national grid, ensuring sufficient power supply for the national electricity system, especially central provinces.
The construction on the $1.25-billion plant started in July 2009. The first turbine of the 1,200MW plant began operational in August 2014, while the second one started generating electricity in April this year, contributing a total of three billion kWh to the national grid so far.
Also in Ha Tinh last week, Taiwan’s Fomosa Group inaugurated the first 150MW coal-fired plant to supply for its $9 billion steel and seaport complex.
By Phuong Thu
- France plans to shut down all coal-fired power stations by 2021 in new climate change directive
- One Cisco Unified Computing System beats 15 coal-fired energy plants
- Linux catches on at coal power plants
- Consumer FAQ: Power plants running under 2000 dates
- Nuclear Power Plants, A Needless Peril
- Feature: BiH sees first power plant in Europe built by Chinese company
- Connecticut court rules against the EPA, forcing them to act to clean up air pollution caused by an old Pennsylvania coal plant
- With EPA rule change, worries linger for those near coal ash ponds
- EPA rolls back Obama-era coal ash regulations
- Trump EPA Acts to Roll Back Control on Climate-Changing Coal
- Carbon floor price hike will trigger UK coal slowdown, say analysts
- Coal ash contaminating groundwater nationwide, groups say
- Climate conference in the heart of coal country
- Coal's outspoken enemy and his uphill battle
- Trump's Rollback of Pollution Rules to Hit Coal Country Hard
- Environmentalists: Coal ash likely entering NC river
- Tesla's giant battery bailed out a coal power station nearly 620 miles away
- Trump's coal emissions rollbacks will be bad for country's health, experts say
- Trump's pollution rules rollback to hit coal country hard
- Pig poop and coal ash a real concern for people in the Carolina floods
Construction starts at Nghi Son 2 coal-fired power plant have 396 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at September 18, 2015. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.