The kite that caused the tragic accident on March 15, 2015. 5-year-old Van Minh Dat died from a 20-meter fall. Photo: Hai Nam
Ho Chi Minh City police said they will discuss with prosecutors to see if they would take legal actions against those responsible for the tragic death of an ill-fated boy who was accidentally lifted into the air by a giant kite and died from a 20-meter fall, Tuoi Tre newspaper reported.
Van Minh Dat, 5, followed his pregnant mother, who sold drinks to kite flyers and spectators, to the Dong Dieu kite field in Hoc Mon District at around 4 p.m. on Sunday (March 15).
His legs got entangled in the strings of the kite being launched by members of the Saigon Kite Club, and strong winds flew him up in the sky.
The kite was about 20 meters in the sky when Dat fell down.
The accident happened so quickly in just 19 seconds, leaving eyewitnesses, including Dat’s mother, no time to do anything.
The boy succumbed to his injuries soon afterwards.
After the accident, Hoc Mon District police summoned Do Van Luu, chief of the Saigon Kite Club, for questioning.
Several other members of the club were also questioned.
A kite-flyer of another club told Thanh Nien there were some people tasked with preventing children from approaching the kites but somehow they did not notice Dat.
The club gave VND45 million (US$2,096) to the boy’s family as compensation.
Following the accident, the HCMC Department of Culture and Sports ordered district authorities to make a list of kite clubs in the city and issue safety instructions for kite flying activities.
It said most of kite clubs had not registered with local authorities, some of the clubs also violated safety requirements.
- The fatal risk is on
- Tree manager must be liable for falling branch death: lawyers
- Online Exchange between Police Leader and SGGP Readers about Residence Law Implementation
- HCMC traffic accidents, deaths on the rise after two-year break
- Clarification of wrongful and illegal actions against VIDC
- French artist Patricia Kaas to perform in HCMC
- Vietnam dog thieves surrender, admit to killing boys with stun gun
- Boat owner faces criminal charges in Vietnam fatal accident
- Hit-and-run cop reflects badly on entire force: police spokesman
- Tuoi Tre opposes police’s conclusion on Khuong
- Transsexual in legal limbo
- Increase in child abuse stumps police
- Binh Duong beats 63 localities to top Competitive Index as HCMC slips
- Vietnam police confiscation forces gold shop to temporarily close
- Journalist jailed for fatal road accident in Vietnam
- The cup of endurance runs over
- Uber banned from operating in Indian capital after driver rape
- Industrial park to be fined for dumping toxic waste
- How pivotal is the US 'pivot' to the East Sea dispute?
- SOCIETY IN BRIEF 6/10
HCMC police consider legal actions in boy's fatal fall from kite have 442 words, post on at March 18, 2015. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.