The American automaker Ford has announced its latest safety technology and new diesel engine which will make global debut in its all new Mondeo 2015. The most upto date pedestrian detection system can potentially reduce the severity of road accidents involving pedestrians. The system in association with Pre-Collision Assist will identify people crossing the path of the vehicle and automatically apply brakes if the driver does not respond to the warning.
The technology uses the radar system located in the bumper which works with camera mounted on the windshield. The camera scans any approaching objects with the database of ‘pedestrian shapes’ to distinguish people from any roadside objects and scenery. The Pre-Collision Assist package also offers Active Braking that help reduce rear-end collision.
Ulrich Koesters, vehicle line director, Ford of Europe said “The new Mondeo is the most technologically advanced Ford vehicle ever introduced in Europe. Features like Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection add safety and security for drivers in busy urban conditions.”
The carmaker also announced new efficient diesel engine coming in Mondeo. The powerful 2.0 liter TDCi features twin sequential turbocharging technology that produces 207bhp and 450Nm of peak torque. Besides improved refinement and dynamic performance, the engine is also low on emissions.
Andrew Brumley, chief engineer, Ford Engine Programs said, “The new high-powered TDCi diesel engine follows the downsizing trend we’ve led with our EcoBoost petrol technology. Smaller engines deliver better fuel efficiency and emissions, and we claim the power back with advanced technology. Twin sequential turbocharging delivers the seamless performance consumers want every day in all conditions, and makes turbo-lag a distant memory.”
Ford Mondeo will also come with Active Parking Assist and SYNC 2 that incorporates an 8-inch touchscreen with advance voice control. The new Ford Mondeo is expected to go on sale by the end of this year in European market while the new powerful diesel engine will come in early 2015.
Source : CarDekho
- GM Wireless Pedestrian Detection Technology is Another Step Toward Autonomy
- A Brief History Of The Power Stroke Diesel Engine
- The European Honda Civic Gets an Awesome New Diesel Engine
- BMW X1 And X2 Gain New Diesel Engines With Up To 187 HP
- New diesel engine for Giulietta
- Toyota building new diesel engine plant in Bengaluru
- Secrets of Subaru's new diesel engine
- Volkswagen developing 10spd DSG, new diesel engine
- BMW's New Diesel Engine Has Four Friggin' Turbos
- Facelifted Hyundai i20 gets super clean new diesel engine