Baby Get Their Names
Kwita Izina, an annual gorilla naming ceremony, was held on July 1 this year in Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda.
About 5,000 people came to Kwita Izina this year. The ceremony organizers hope to raise awareness about the mountain gorilla’s endangered species status.
The ceremony also included entertainment and performances by local musicians.
The Gorilla Namers
Those chosen to do the naming were clothed in traditional African robes. The ceremony comes from an ancient African tradition of ceremoniously giving names with deep meaning.
Mountain gorillas only weigh about 4 lbs. (1.8 kilograms) when they are born. Eventually, they will grow up to 6 feet (1.8 meters) tall and weigh up to 400 lbs. (181 kg) in adulthood.
Mother and Newborn
Baby gorillas ride on their mother’s backs for most of the first three years of their lives.
These gorillas live in dense forest-covered mountains in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda and Rwanda. Their habitat is threatened by deforestation.
- Baby gorilla born at Lincoln Park Zoo on Mother's Day
- Baby gorilla born at Zoo Atlanta; grandfather was Willie B.
- Chicago zoo celebrates baby gorilla born on Mother's Day
- Park ranger says he snapped viral photo after gorillas appeared to pose
- Knoxville graduations: Photos from high school ceremonies
- Archie: Meghan Markle, Prince Harry share royal baby pics, name
- Gorillas hilariously try to avoid rain at South Carolina zoo
- Images: June photo contest winners
- Betting on the Royal Baby
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reveal Baby Sussex's name
- Gov. Lamont named Honorary Chair for 2019 Travelers
- Lift those knees: Babies crawl to the Lithuanian finish line
- Kim Kardashian West shares first close-up image of new baby
- Shocker: Harry and Meghan name their royal baby … Archie
- Royal baby photos: Meghan Markle, Prince Harry pose with newborn
- The most popular baby names in every state
- College Board names Katy ISD AP District of the Year
- Royal baby name: Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor
- Graduation 2019: El Modena High, in Orange, commencement photos
- Mariano Rivera closes baseball’s Hall induction ceremony
In Photos: Baby Gorilla Naming Ceremony have 320 words, post on www.livescience.com at July 9, 2014. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.