Coronation Street actress Barbara Knox has been arrested on suspicion of drink driving.
The 80-year-old, who has played Rita Tanner on the soap for over 40 years, was held at her local police station in Cheshire. She had gone there after her daughter Maxine Ashcroft, 56, was earlier arrested for the same offense.
A Cheshire Police spokesperson confirmed, “An 80-year-old woman from Knutsford arrived at Knutsford police station and was also arrested on suspicion of drink driving. She was bailed pending further inquiries.”
Barbara’s daughter was arrested after she was pulled over and breathalysed by police while driving her mother home after an afternoon out.
The actress then arrived at Knutsford station wanting to speak to officers about her daughter’s arrest, but was then arrested herself when police suspected she had driven there while under the influence.
Maxine was charged for allegedly being nearly three times over the legal limit and will appear in court on 2 April. Barbara was bailed pending further inquries.
A Coronation Street spokesperson has said the arrest in a “personal matter”.
Barbara is one of Corrie’s longest-serving cast members. She has played Rita since 1972 and has seen plenty of success in the role, including winning the TV Times award for best actress in 1989.
She also received a lifetime achievement award at the British Soap Awards in 2004, and in 2010 was awarded an MBE for her services to drama.
- Coronation Street’s Barbara Knox, 85, who plays Rita Tanner rolls back the years with glam bikini throwback
- Former City star Drinkwater charged with drink driving
- Coronation Street’s Alan Halsall spotted driving his new £175k Mercedes Benz SLS in Manchester
- When is Kym Marsh leaving Coronation Street and what is Michelle Connor’s exit storyline?
- Coronation Street’s Qasim Akhtar cheats death after horror quad bike crash
- Kym Marsh ‘will make a million’ after quitting Coronation Street
Coronation Street star Barbara Knox arrested for drink driving have 338 words, post on www.hellomagazine.com at March 28, 2014. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.