Heavy snow has damaged large areas of crops while stopping traffic on many roads in Sa Pa district, the northwestern mountainous province of Lao Cai.
According to the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development of Sa Pa, more than 100 hectares of chayote and another 100 hectares of flowers were buried under snow.
Thick ice also blocked about 10 kilometres of Highway 4D linking Lao Cai and Lai Chau provinces. Efforts have been made by local authorities to clear the roads.
Freezing temperatures have also forced more than 8,500 pre-school and primary school students to cease their schooling.
According to the Lai Chau Department of Education and Training, thousands of students in the hard-hit districts of Sin Ho, Phong Tho and Tam Duong have had to stay at home. Students in 63 schools in Sa Pa, including 20 nursery, 22 primary and 21 secondary schools, have been allowed to stay at home on December 16 and 17.
To ease the difficulties for the students, more than 500 blankets and many presents have been sent to the students, the department said.
On December 16, temperatures plunged to below 5 degrees Celsius across the whole of Lao Cai province. Particularly, the temperature dropped to minus 3 degrees Celsius in Sa Pa, coupled with rain and snow.
Earlier on December 15, heavy snow and a thick layer of ice covered O Quy Ho Mountain Pass in Sa Pa, while the temperature was recorded at minus one degree Celsius.
This type of weather, while not unheard-of, occasionally occurs in the highest northern mountains during winter.
The snowfall attracts tourists to Sa Pa, causing congestion from the provincial capital of Lao Cai to the resort town.
From the height of 1,500m above sea level, icy sheets were about 2.5 cm thick, while the temperature continued to plunge in foggy and dizzy weather.
- Iran quake causes heavy casualties and damage: state media
- Search for Causes of Ice Rink Disaster
- Lee village in Devon left stranded by flash floods caused by Storm Angus – as missing man’s car is found
- Storm Barbara set to cause Christmas getaway chaos as it brings 100mph winds and heavy rain
- Germany starts to get back on track after heavy snow wreaks havoc
- Man injured in mini snow and ice avalanche at Dublin Airport settles €60,000 damages claim
- Powerful typhoon causes minor injuries, damage in S. Korea
- Winter weather causes deaths, travel disruptions
- What caused the avalanche in Italy, where is Farindola and what happened to the Hotel Rigopiano?
- Powerful typhoon causes injuries, damage in South Korea
- Overturned boat with fish cause traffic headache on Route 8
- Stag yobs spark plane and airport chaos as boozed-up Brits start long weekend off with very public displays of heavy drinking
- Severe thunderstorms, heavy rains lash Wisconsin
- Whatever happened to September snowfall in Denver?
- Britain warned it faces a winter of stormy weather with heavy winds and rain to last for MONTHS
- First big snowfalls of year cause travel chaos – and storms to hit this weekend
- UK facing heaviest snowfall in years with the first icy blast arriving in just SIX WEEKS
- Snow Storms Cause Death and Chaos in Europe
- US launches urgent evacuation around damaged Oroville Dam in California
- Powerful typhoon causes minor injuries, damages in S. Korea
Heavy snowfall causes damage in Lao Cai have 512 words, post on sggpnews.org.vn at December 16, 2013. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.