Although more than 85 percent of German households are connected to the internet, many consumers are rightly unimpressed with the service they get from providers a study published on Monday suggested.
The German Institute for Service Quality tested what was offered by 15 of the country’s providers – and although things looked a little better than last year, only one firm was ranked as “very good”. Eight others were said to be “good” while three were said to be “satisfactory” and another three were just “adequate”.
Prices varied wildly for flat-rate deals with the cheapest price for 16,000kBits per second internet provision plus flat-rate phone coming in at around €20 a month, while the most expensive was around €40 a month.
Over the length of a two-year contract, such a difference could mean a saving – or increased spend – of €478, the institute said in a statement.
Lengthy minimum contracts and customer unfriendly regulations on cancellations were the rule, the institute said, while flexibility to help customers was generally only found when companies made exceptions.
Five of the 15 companies tested went over and above what their own rules dictated in order to help customers – granting early cancellation of a contract where the internet connection was particularly slow for example.
Kabel Deutschland was the best of the bunch, retaining its position from last year, the institute said. The firm offered generally the cheapest double flat rate – for internet and phone services, and also had the best customer service.
READ MORE: German court cuts off Google’s auto-complete
- We got our hands on the new Nintendo Switch, here are our first impressions
- The 2003 Detroit Tigers, one of the worst MLB teams ever, provide rebuilding teams lessons to learn from 15 years later
- Where now for German World Cup winners?
- MLB Sunday scores, highlights, live team updates, news: Yankees extend winning streak behind German, Torres
- Hartley nod provides hope to other F1 discards
- VIDEO: When a German 'flattened a Frenchman'
- Dirk Nowitzki did a perfect Simone Zaza ‘running man’ impression
- The NFL Is Going Stale, So It Must Embrace The Internet
- Untested Germans seek Confed Cup thrills at theme park site
- Two ex-Kansas rowers accused a football player of sexual assault. They feel the university failed them.
- The funniest ratings on the internet: Australia vs England, fifth ODI
- Roma star Totti fails to impress with 300th goal
- Bayern clinch German Cup on Guardiola farewell
- Impressive Oghenekaro Etebo unlikely to gatecrash Super Eagles midfield
- HBO's 'Being Serena' documentary provides intimate look at tennis superstar
- Naby Keita continues to impress with another RB Leipzig goal
- Commonwealth Games 2018: Sanjita Chanu wins gold as lifters continue to impress; Day 2 round-up
- AFL bye round provides time to review performance
- Why Washington DE/OLB Joe Mathis Will Impress In NFL Draft
- AFC North Week 1 Review: Baltimore Ravens Impress
German internet providers fail to impress have 445 words, post on www.thelocal.de at November 4, 2013. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.