A new $10 million federal grant will help the port of Baltimore keep pace in the dynamic global shipping economy, while creating “jobs you can raise a family on, middle-class jobs,” Vice President Joe Biden said during a visit to the port on Monday.
Biden praised the city’s port for contributing to the nation’s ongoing economic recovery.
“This grant is going to help take this historic port to a new level,” Biden said.
Biden visited the port’s Seagirt Marine Terminal in Dundalk more than a week after the Maryland congressional delegation announced the grant, which will help pay for improving access to that terminal and an expansion of Fairfield Marine Terminal in South Baltimore.
Fairfield is the port’s facility that handles its thriving roll-on/roll-off business for vehicles. Baltimore is the nation’s No. 1 port for such vehicle imports and exports.
The $10 million, Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery, or TIGER, grant, will be matched with $19 million in state funding.
The money will be used to:
•Deepen the access channel to Seagirt, which would allow the largest containerships to reach the port’s most modern container terminal;
•Use dredged materials from the deepening project to fill an obsolete basin at Fairfield, adding 7.6 acres of storage land and allowing the port to handle 20,000 more vehicles a year;
•Expand railroad access at Fairfield by building a new rail loading and unloading facility there.
The multi-part project is one of 52 chosen by the U.S. Department of Transportation for funding. The department received more than 10 times as many proposals for TIGER funding. The state has applied for TIGER funding twice before, unsuccessfully.
Before the vice president’s remarks, Maryland Port Administration Director Jim White briefed Biden about the port with Mark Montgomery, president of Ports America Chesapeake, which operates Seagirt as part of a public-private partnership with the state.
White said he was “shocked” by Biden’s understanding of the port and the importance of international shipping.
Biden was joined at Seagirt by Gov. Martin O’Malley, Sens. Ben Cardin and Barbara A. Mikulski, U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx and Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake. U.S. Reps. Elijah E. Cummings, C.A. “Dutch” Ruppersberger and John Sarbanes, among other state and local officials, also attended.
Biden spoke against a backdrop of Seagirt’s towering new cranes unloading containers from a cargo ship. The cranes quickly lifted yellow, red and blue containers full of clothes, electronics and other items off the MSC Vittoria and onto waiting trucks, a long stream of which kept operations flowing.
O’Malley, Mikulski and Cardin each spoke as well, calling the port an economic engine for the state and a powerful sustainer of regional jobs.
Amid his remarks, Biden said his family traces its roots back to Dundalk nearly 100 years ago.
“That’s where they used to live,” he said — but they wouldn’t recognize it today, in part because state officials have for decades been committed to growing and modernizing the port to keep pace with an ever-changing global shipping industry.
“They would marvel at what’s happened here,” he said of his Dundalk ancestors. “This is an extraordinary facility.”
- Bumbling Joe Biden says 150 MILLION Americans have been killed in gun violence since 2005… when it’s really 150,000
- Joe Biden suggests 150 MILLION Americans have died from gun violence since 2007 in yet another campaign gaffe - just hours after telling voters he is running for the Senate
- Biden says he raised $5 million day of South Carolina primary
- NJ couple gives $10 million to the University of Notre Dame
- Bloomberg sent well over $10 million in donations to Colorado, long before 2020
- Biden Says Over 150 Million Americans Killed by Gun Violence Since 2007, Which Would Be a Third of U.S. Population
- As New U.S. Cases of Coronavirus Surface, Trump Says Democrats Are Politicizing It Into 'New Hoax'
- Biden says he will run for president in 2020: 'We have to remember who we are'
- Trump Jr. Says Democrats 'Hope' Coronavirus 'Kills Millions' of Americans so it Will End Donald Trump's Winning Streak: 'New Level of Sickness'
- Trump Jr. says Dems, left-wing media have reached a 'new level of sickness' by politicizing coronavirus
- Exclusive: Chicago’s new brand identity could save the city $10 million a year
- Superbugs could kill 10 million people a year, report warns
- The Latest: Biden says Russians apparently support Sanders
- Joe Biden says Cory Booker 'should apologize' for slam over working with segregationist senators
- Biden Says He ‘Became A Professor’ After Leaving White House — Made $775,000, Never Taught A Class
- Sanders Endorses Biden, Saying, ‘Stop Me Before I Win More.’ [Satire]
- Reddit boss describes TikTok as 'spyware' and 'fundamentally parasitic' as the controversial video app is set to surpass 10 million users in the UK by 2021
- Mindy Kaling Buys Frank Sinatra's Malibu Mansion for Nearly $10 Million
- Why authorities STILL can't contact passengers on plane with latest coronavirus victim almost THREE DAYS after it landed - as top medical officer says it's IMPOSSIBLE to stop new cases arriving
- Joe Biden’s South Carolina firewall is holding, new poll indicates
Biden says $10 million grant will take Baltimore's port to 'new level' have 826 words, post on www.baltimoresun.com at September 8, 2013. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.