Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang’s upcoming visit to the US from July 24-26 is a special event in the relationship between the two countries, US Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Daniel Russel has said.
The visit will be a historical milestone, Russel said on July 22 in his first press briefing after he was named US Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific affairs last week.
Vietnam has emerged as an important nation in Southeast Asia, especially in the Association of the Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), he said, adding that the country is also an important negotiating partner of the Trans-Asia Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement.
According to the US Assistant Secretary of State, President Sang’s visit is an opportunity for the two countries to enhance their cooperation in regional strategic issues, including the East Sea issue, and also for the US to step up cooperation with ASEAN.
At the same time, it is a preparation for President Barack Obama’s upcoming trip to Brunei to attend the East Asia Summit (EAS), Russel said.
On this occasion, the two sides will compare notes on climate change issues, especially on specific areas that the US can cooperate and help Vietnam, he added.
In particular, the TPP agreement will be the prominent topic during talks between the two heads of State, according to Russel.
At the press briefing, Russel also vowed no let-up in Washington’s focus on the Asia-Pacific region.
- (MacaoSAR 20) President Xi visits gov't services center, school in Macao
- President Xi visits gov't services center, school in Macao
- Cuban Parliament President to Come to Russia in June – Vice-President
- Pakistani designers add glitter to royal couple visit
- Activities celebrate 50-year implementation of President Ho Chi Minh’s Testament
- The top destinations for Australians to visit in 2020 - including a Turkish resort town, a hot spot in South Korea and a Mexican region known for 'magic'
- Two Republicans and one Democrat miss historic House votes on Trump's impeachment
- The day Donald Trump's presidency changed forever
- Ivanka Trump says president views impeachment as "just pure partisan politics"
- Presidential Visits Brief
- Vice President delivers Christmas greetings to Bui Chu diocese
- French cops fire tear gas and charge protesters as tens of thousands take to the streets to fight President Macron's pension reforms
- President Trump to join PM Modi at mega "Howdy, Modi!" diaspora event in Houston
- Walhalla's historic cricket ground hosts its first match since February's fire
- Macedonia's Zoran Zaev hails name-change referendum result despite low turnout
- 'Treasons Greetings!' Tens of thousands rally at protests across the nation in support of impeaching Donald Trump on eve of historic House vote
- President Trump impeached for abuse of power, obstruction of Congress by US House
- Experts hail Xi's plan for Macao
- The Hill's Morning Report - In historic vote, House impeaches Trump
- U.S. Anti-Semitism Envoy Hails Trump Executive Order as ‘Game Changer’
US hails President Sang's visit as historical milestone have 469 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at July 23, 2013. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.