Former Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and AC Milan star Ronaldinho was instrumental in helping Brazilian side Atletico Mineiro defeat Paraguay’s Olimpia in a penalty shoot-out on Wednesday to win the Copa Libertadores for the first time.
Trailing 0-2 from the first leg, Atletico opened the scoring through the tournament’s leading scorer Jo in the 36th minute but had to wait until three minutes from time to snatch the equaliser through defender Leonardo Silva.
After a goalless extra-time, the final went to penalties which the Brazilians won 4-3 in front of 60,000 fans at the Mineirao Stadium.
A World Cup winner with Brazil in 2002 and Champions League winner with Barcelona in 2006, Ronaldinho returned to his home country in 2011 with his top ambition being to win the South American continental cup to go with his other honours.
“This is why I came back to Brazil,”, the two-time winner of the world player of the year award said. “Not long ago people were saying that I was done but we showed today that isn’t the case.”
Olimpia, aiming for their fourth Copa Libertadores title and first since 2002, were left rueing a host of golden goal opportunities.
“You can’t miss so many chances in a Copa final,” coach Ever Almeida said.
Atletico will now go on to represent South America at the World Club championships in Morocco in December alongside teams such as Bayern Munich and Mexican side Monterrey.
- Chapecoense will be awarded the Copa Sudamericana after air crash tragedy
- Barcelona fans go wild for Ronaldinho’s El Clasico return after 2020 spell in prison
- Copa America 2021 Final: Interesting Facts From Argentina's Record-Equaling Title Win
- Brazilian Soccer Great Ronaldinho Released From Paraguayan Prison On Bail
- Soccer-Atletico Mineiro eliminates Boca as chaotic scenes sully Copa Libertadores
- Messi lifts a weight off his shoulders with Copa America glory while Neymar waits for his time
- Brazil-Argentina rivalry rekindled: Why Saturday's Copa America final pitting Neymar vs. Messi is must-see TV
- Rodrigo de Paul signs for Atletico Madrid as Simeone gets his ideal midfield schemer
- Tite sailing to new heights as Brazil stand on cusp of Copa America glory
- Tite's Brazil have style and substance as Selecao dream of more Copa America glory
- Copa America semifinal 2: Argentina vs Colombia: Stats preview, India time, TV Channel, Live streaming
- Copa America Quarterfinal 3 Stats Preview; Uruguay favourites against Colombia
- Copa America: Argentina vs Colombia preview: Los Cafeteros out to end semi hoodoo vs Messi-inspired opponents
- Neymar wants Messi's Argentina in Copa America final after Brazil reach decider
- Copa America final: Can Messi finally win a major trophy with Argentina or will his pal Neymar lead Brazil to glory?
- Lionel Messi and Co arrive back in Argentina to heroes’ welcome after historic Copa America triumph over Brazil
- Copa America final: Brazil v Argentina: Head to head, Messi v Neymar, India time, TV Channel, Live streaming
- Copa America: CONMEBOL announce Argentina will not host due to COVID-19 surge, tournament moved to Brazil
- Copa America 2021: Full List of Award Winners, Golden Boot, Prize Money, Records and Statistics
- Barcelona Eye Swap Deal for Antoine Griezmann and Saul Niguez with Atletico Madrid
Copa glory for Atletico and Ronaldinho have 501 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at July 26, 2013. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.