Hundreds of households in some dilapidated apartment blocks in Hanoi and the central city of Danang have been living in constant fear of a building collapse.
Wall slightly parted from the building
The 40-year-old apartment building E6 in Ba Dinh District, Hanoi already has one of its walls separated slightly.
Nguyen Van Tung, a resident said, “I've always tried to get inside my apartment as fast as possible because it feels like the ceiling can fall at anytime.” He said that previously, when the residents in the building heard that a storm would pass through Red River Delta, they even tied a long rope in case they had to escape via the windows.
Because of serious subsidence, the water and electricity system are also unstable. Even though the residents tried to fix the building themselves twice, their efforts have all gone to waste.
Tung said they have sent many letters to the authorities since 2005 but received little help. “All of the inspection teams remarked that this building is in dangerous state but they didn’t provide solutions.” Tung said.
Hanoi currently has 1,155 outdated apartment buildings. However, the renovation work has been slow.
The apartment building 18 in Hai Chau District, Danang City is also in the same situation. Each apartment here measures just 10-15 square metres. Some parts of the floor have already collapsed and left big holes.
“When it rains, water will seep through the walls and our apartment floods.” a local said.
Luong and his wife have to do some of their daily activities out in the hallway
Pham Hien Luong, another resident said he and his wife have to sleep out in the hallway so their two children can have some space. “Well, it’s close to the city but living like this is hell. You’ll probably have to wear helmet inside because the ceiling could fall down at any moment.” he said.
Many old apartment buildings in the city such as buildings on Hung Vuong and Yen Bai streets are in urgent need of renovation or demolition.
- JPD: 2 Copper Thieves Damaged Joliet Apartment Building
- Tips for apartment hunting and moving in Germany
- Landslides threaten Hanoi’s riverside residential areas
- 'Build to rent' could be the missing piece in the affordable housing puzzle
- Young villagers are on a mission to preserve the ancient living root bridges of Meghalaya
- Man fighting for life after balcony fall while trying to get into his Adelaide apartment
- Here’s a new take on smart apartments from Brilliant and ButterflyMX
- When high-rise buildings block the sun, they create problems for people.
- Hurricane Irma Live Updates: 3 Deaths Reported In Wake of Storm, 3M+ Without Power
- Demolish Ernakulam's illegal Maradu apartments by Sept. 20, orders SC
- Travel like a celebrity! Holiday homes that allow you to live the luxury life without the hefty price tag - including a property in Bali with a private pool for just £18 per night
- Five things you need to know about our living planet in 2018
- A bubble is building that could shake our economy to its core
- Companies for demolishing Maradu flats shortlisted, 9,522 buildings within 1km to be issued alert
- Hurricane Dorian: Storm claims lives, bodies ‘floating in the water’
- 'Blue Bloods': Get a Look at Jamie and Eddie's New Apartment
- Lessons from living in a Mumbai room smaller than a big car
- Live Behind Renton Fred Meyer For Just $1 Million
- Falling business investment, building approvals point to deepening economic slowdown
- Plebgate - MPs demand apology from officers: Politics live blog
Outdated apartment buildings threaten lives have 567 words, post on dtinews.vn at June 29, 2013. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.