- Ha Tinh Province celebrates spectacular Fishing Festival
- 60th anniversary of Uncle Ho visiting Ha Tinh province to be marked
- Lives of people in Ha Tinh province back to normal after “storm”
- Central Ha Tinh province looks to tap sea tourism potential
- Nghi Xuan district (Ha Tinh province): Developing from the culture
On the First Day of May on the Lunar Calendar every year, a spectacular Fishing Festival is held in Xuan Vien Commune in Nghi Xuan District in the central province of Ha Tinh.
At the crack of dawn, thousands of people from children to the elderly converge from all parts of the province to the Thuong Luong area or Vuc Lagoon to fish with various fishing tools, namely, fishing-baskets, lift nets and fishing-rods.
Some people who don’t participate in catching fish just stand on shore and cheer the others as they fish.
At 6.15 am, when call to fish begins, people rush towards the Vuc Lagoon followed by loud cheers from people on shore. Every time a person catches a big fish, they receive a big hand from other participants.
According to the elderly people of the commune, residents are not allowed to catch fish in the lagoon all year round except on this particular festive day. This custom dates back to ancient times when people could only catch fish at night time, but now this has moved as day time occasion.