With one point more than the followers, Liem entered the decisive game on March 24 with the Hungarian grandmaster with confidence, forcing No2 seed to draw after 30 moves.
The Vietnamese player got a total of 7.5 points after 6 wins and 3 draws, and received a cash prize worth US$10,000.
In the previous two HDBank tournaments, Liem was selected No1 seed, but lost out to his Chinese rivals.
This year he delivered a brilliant performance, including a victory over Zhou Jianchao of China in round 7.
Meanwhile, other Vietnamese hopefuls such as Nguyen Ngoc Truong Son, Nguyen Huynh Minh Huy, Le Tuan Minh, and Nguyen Duc Hoa were ousted from the top ten due to losses in the decisive games.
Lu Shanglei of China came in second with 7 points, followed by Zhou Jianchao of China, Paragua Mark of the Philippines, and Berkes Ferenc of Hungary, who all got 6.5 points.
- Viswanathan Anand Has Another Decent Day, Magnus Carlsen Set to Win Grand Chess Tour Final Leg
- Lolomarik wins Betika grassroots tourney in Meru
- Carlsen set to win Grand Chess Tour final leg; Anand has another decent day
- Tata Steel Rapid And Blitz Chess: Viswanathan Anand Falters While Magnus Carlsen Reigns Supreme
- Tata Steel Rapid And Blitz Chess: Viswanathan Anand Tied Fifth, Magnus Carlsen On Course To Win
- Magnus Carlsen Wins Big to Break Own Record as Viswanathan Anand Runs Out of Steam and Luck
- They’re coughing in the galleries at the Grand Chess Tour
- The World Chess Championship is thrilling. But where are the women?
- Tata Steel Chess | Carlsen marches on
- Judit Polgar: 'Everything was about chess'
- Tata Steel chess: Anand falters while Carlsen is supreme
- I might never have become a chess grandmaster if I’d stuck to women-only tournaments
- HT Brunch Cover Story: Meet chess ace Viswanathan Anand and his one-woman army
- Chess: Magnus Carlsen admits to confidence crisis after shock losing run
- Chess: Carlsen prepares for London finals and says: ‘I’m the man to beat’
- Malesi wins Chairman's Prize at Royal Nairobi
- Bluiett sparks No. 3 Xavier in Big East win over St. John’s
- One period costs Clear Lake JV possible bigger feast at Thanksgiving tourney
- Rice volleyball falls to Western Kentucky in C-USA tourney
- Winning Moves in "Searching for Bobby Fischer"
Liem wins HDBank chess tourney have 354 words, post on english.vov.vn at January 14, 2017. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.