Volkswagen is making das auto a bit greener. The automaker has begun using a 33-acre solar farm adjacent to its Chattanooga manufacturing facility to power up to 12.5 percent of the plant’s needs during full production and 100% off production. VW’s embrace of solar power will reduce its operating costs over the long term.
The automaker’s U.S. subsidiary announced that the farm went live in a press release issued yesterday. It includes 33,600 solar modules from JA Solar, a PV panel maker that was subsidized by the Chinese government, and is owned and operated by renewable energy developer Silicon Ranch. VW signed a 20-year contract to buy the electricity, earning it the distinction of being the first automaker to earn a LEED Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
“We are proud to power up the biggest solar park of any car manufacturer in North America today. The solar park is another proof point of Volkswagen’s worldwide commitment to environmental protection under its ‘Think Blue.,” said Frank Fischer, CEO and chairman of Volkswagen Group of America. “Factory’ philosophy, a broadly focused initiative for all Volkswagen plants to achieve more efficient use of energy, materials and water and produce less waste and emissions.”
The panels will produce nearly 13.1 gigawatt hours of electricity per year, which would power 1,200 local homes for an entire year, Volkswagen says. VW’s 1.9 million square foot plant produces the Passat sedan, employing over 3,000 workers. While VW is lowering its manufacturing costs, it is not alone in its quest for greater sustainability, which also affects its bottom line. U.S. energy costs have been rising annually.
Last summer, Ford pledged a 25% reduction in the energy its uses in automaking by 2016. Ford has already cut the power required to produce each vehicle in its global factories by 22 percent since 2006.
(image credit: Volkswagen)
Related on SmartPlanet
- Protecting the power grid from electric vehicles
- Coda’s electric sedan – a Model T like milestone?
- Electric vehicles cleaner than gasoline, anywhere
- Doh! Fisker to replace car batteries – again
- The great electric car experiment: Texas town is a research project
- Solyndra 2.0? A123 systems if floundering
- Clean tech pioneers – 10 companies that are changing the industry
- IBM celebrates centennial with a focus on progress
- DOE: Wireless car charging is the future
- With wireless power, charge your EV while driving
- Wireless charging coming to the Nissan Leaf
- Qualcomm enters cable free charging fray
- Recharge an electric car without plugging in
- Electronic vehicles – a boon for retailers?
This post was originally published on Smartplanet.com
- Illinois residents oppose solar farms
- 2 reasons solar is booming in Trump country: economics and energy independence
- Florida governments are embracing solar power, but Naples isn't one of them ... yet
- Prospect of Trump tariff casts pall over U.S. solar industry
- Farmer Spotlight: Silver Leaf Farms
- Daily Drive-Thru: A grand opening for Tesla, another Autopilot crash, why Volkswagen's a prone to hacks, and more
- Daily Drive-Thru: Deadly drowsy driving, autonomous cars in Arizona, Italy gets a slice of the Volkswagen pizza pie, and more
- Daily Drive-Thru: Volkswagen announces cutbacks, Toyota C-HR makes its real debut, Tesla-SolarCity merger gets OK'd and more
- Thinking of buying an electric vehicle? Here's what you need to know about on-the-go charging in America
- Daily Drive-Thru: BMW introduces futuristic concepts, breaks ground on Mexico plant; Volkswagen makes bold EV promise, and more
- America’s hungriest wind and solar power users: big companies
- Your one-stop guide to the ‘Great American Solar Eclipse of 2017’
- Everyone's eclipse: America comes together in the moon's shadow
- America’s trade wars are heating up, as more U.S. companies sue for relief
- Think Solar, Think Small
- VW releases $2 billion settlement plan for electrifying America
- Renewable energy and electric vehicles dodge a bullet in tax bill
- Exclusive: U.S. aid agency under scrutiny for loans in Chile
- TerraForm Power Reports Second Quarter 2018 Results
- What is the best car? With the annual DNA Awards, the Daily News answers that question in several different ways
Volkswagen of America plugs into solar farm have 643 words, post on www.zdnet.com at January 22, 2013. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.