LONDON — After maddening and thrilling football fans in equal measures for eight years, Didier Drogba’s combustible Chelsea career is over. And it was fitting that one of football’s most theatrical characters went out with one final, dramatic flourish. With the last kick in his last game, the 34-year-old Drogba won the Champions League for Chelsea on Saturday, scoring the decisive penalty in the shootout against Bayern Munich. “Even the greatest stories come to an end,” the Ivory Coast forward wrote Tuesday on his official website. “My contract is finished and I am now prepared to leave the Blues. It is with great sadness but also with much gratitude that I announce (to) you my departure from Chelsea. “I played my last game for the club in Munich and I am delighted to have finally been able to lift the Champions League trophy after an incredible final.” Success in European football’s illustrious knockout competition is the culmination of a thrilling career with the west London club, where he also won three English Premier League titles, four FA Cups and two League Cups. “(Leaving) has been a very difficult decision for me to make and I am very proud of what… Read full this story
- Find out who won the battle of Chelsea 'old boys'
- John Terry leads from front for Chelsea after Leicester’s early promise
- Chelsea crash out to Lyon after Maren Mjelde own goal proves costly
- Late Willian goal earns Chelsea point at Liverpool
- Google Closes On $2.4 Billion Deal To Buy Chelsea Market
- How Pakistani restaurateur developed a taste for China
- China mosque demolition sparks standoff in Ningxia
- US condemns China jail term for Uighur scholar Ilham Tohti
- Making sense of the unrest from China's Xinjiang
- Kindergartens creatively transformed in rural China
Didier Drogba’s career with Chelsea is over, could continue playing in China have 307 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at May 22, 2012. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.