The number of aging population is continuing to increase. At the same time, the cost of being hospitalized is also increasing. Thus, there are people to prefer to have home health care services.
Home health care is a relatively new program that aims to take care of sick patients while they are at home. Medical trained personnel are usually the ones who take care of the sick people who either choose to stay at home or cannot go to the hospital anymore. This can be due to a disease that caused them to be paralyzed or have insufficient power to move. The services that home health care offer usually include physical therapists, nurse, medical technicians etc. The patient usually has a personal nurse to take care of him. Most patients have nurses for around eight hours per day. But depending on the case, it can be allowed for the nurses to extend for more than eight hours a day. If the patient requests for the nurse to stay for more than 4 days a week then there must be an agreed date on when to end the project. The rules regarding the nurses and the kind of assistance that could be given to a patient depends on the rules and regulations set by their particular state since they cover the money that the home health patient can receive from the state budget.
The kind of care that is given in a home health care is usually therapies, wound care and pain control. There are cases when the therapist is the one doing all the work and no assist is needed from the nurse. The personnel that are assigned to do home health services are all trained and are licensed to practice medical procedures. They also have trained to have the right attitude to be patient enough for their patients. The normal activities that are included in the home health care services involve bathing, eating, getting dressed and helping the patients with his other activities as well.
The home health care program helps the older people to live in the comforts of their home with their loved ones and with the guidance of home health care personnel. The home health care program will be terminated or postponed if a fulltime nurse is already needed to look after the patient.
It is important that the family assures the safety of their elders. They must gather the required information for them to know that the agency will provide the best care for there loved ones. There are ways so that the family can trust the agency by making sure that the home health care program that they chose is approved by the Medicare provider. Once the agency is certified by the Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations then there will be no problem. It is also required that a staff from the agency should always be available seven days a week. If all these requirements are met then for sure, you family members will have an efficient and secured home health care agency.
Working for a Home Health Care is a challenge
Taking care for a friend or assisting someone who is sick or disabled gives us a rewarding feeling. At the same time, it also gives us a challenging experience that we have to conquer. In order to be able to successfully take care of someone it is important that you have background in any health profession such as nursing or physiotherapy. Otherwise, the emotional weight of being a caregiver might be too hard on you. Aside from the challenges in techniques and practices, there is also an emotional weight that comes with it.
There are a lot of personal challenges that a caregiver can encounter. First and foremost is the kind of job that they have to do. It involves tedious tasks of making sure that the patient is clean, changing the dextrose, changing the diapers and the like. But more than the physical weight of the job, another factor that counts is the emotional baggage that it involves. In this kind of job, you will be dealing with a person maybe a stranger who is dependent on you. If you are not prepared with this kind of feeling it will be hard for you to adjust.
When you are taking care of a relative or a friend the feeling is way hard to deal with. Since you are responsible for the different procedures that should be done on the patient, then you have to learn the basic nursing procedures such as changing the catheter bag, cleaning up the urine, feces or vomit and the like. These kinds of circumstances can make the patient feel embarrassed by how helpless they are. Thus, it is very important that you make them feel that you are willing to help them and take care of them. In this way, the patients can somehow feel better and still have a sense of dignity even in their state. It is normal for sick patients to be rude, moody and argumentative because of what has happened to them. It is like a defense mechanism for them to act strong in front of other people. Even if you are the one taking care of your patient, it is still important for you to have a life and make time for yourself.
Aside from the emotional challenge that you have, there are also a lot of requirements for a home health care. Unlike in hospitals where everything is offered, the equipment and facilities that can be used when at home is limited. Thus, if you plan to have a home health care then you should start having the equipment that you need depending on the patient such as a hospital bed, wheel chair, shower chair and the like. If there are medical equipments needed for the patient, you can ask your medical team about where you can find them with the affordable prices. It is also important to practice safety at home since you would not want your patients to have further accidents. Cleanliness must also be maintained at all times to prevent any further infections.
Having a home health care at home is a challenging task but there are always ways to keep you equipped and ready for the challenge.
- Congress, rush aid to health care workers and cut the pork
- Coronavirus live updates: 127 health care workers in California infected
- Coronavirus: Gov. Wolf Issues Stay-At-Home Order For Delaware County; School Closures Extended
- Domestic violence victims, stuck at home, are at risk during coronavirus pandemic
- Colorado unveils new coronavirus testing program for health care workers, first responders
- Golden Valley Officials Announce Preventive Measures Inlight Of Governor Walz Stay-At-Home Order
- Florida Coronavirus: Stay-At-Home Order By Governor
- Disaster declaration sought; stay-home order starts Thursday
- Fulton Says Stay Home Or Face Fine, Jail Time: Coronavirus
- California women start mask matching service to support health care workers across US
- Coronavirus live updates: Newsom helps out health care and essential workers with child care options
- Coronavirus live updates: Newsom helps out health care and essential workers, offering child care options
- Two patients in intensive care at RAH as UniSA student tests positive
- Job Center Pivots To Member Relief Services During Coronavirus
- New coronavirus threat: Florida limits nursing homes visits
- NHS starts to suspend home births amid coronavirus spread – warning mums that hospital is ‘safer’
- Coronavirus and Mental Health—How to Deal With Fear and Anxiety During the Pandemic
- Coronavirus live updates: Pray at home — about one-third of Sacramento County cases tied to churches
- Veteran and First Responder Healthcare provides telemental health services to those on coronavirus front lines
- Wilmette Retirement Home Resident Tests Positive For Coronavirus
Learn About Home Health Care Services have 1265 words, post on ezinearticles.com at June 3, 2009. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.