This particular strain of the swine influenza A/H1N1 virus has not been previously detected in pigs or humans. Therefore it is a new virus strain and more importantly, it is believed that human-to-human transmission has occurred.
For this reason this new virus has the potential to cause a pandemic. However, based upon the currently available laboratory, epidemiological, and clinical evidence, we do not know if it will cause a pandemic.
It is also difficult to predict what kind of illness might result from infection with this virus.
WHO has requested all nations to intensify surveillance for unusual outbreaks of influenza-like illness and severe pneumonia.
The Vietnam Ministry of Health (MOH) has responded quickly to this request. Although no cases of the new swine flu have been detected in Vietnam, MOH is undertaking preparations should any be identified.
WHO Vietnam and MOH are working closely to develop best practices and protocols in laboratory diagnosis, quarantine, clinical case management, infection control and logistics specific to this situation.
WHO is able to mobilize a stockpile of antiviral drugs should they become necessary.
WHO preliminary advice:
Our standard precautions remain in place: Cover your cough or sneeze with a mask or a tissue or your sleeve; maintain good personal hygiene. Wash your hands frequently WITH SOAP and avoid touching your face; avoid obviously sick people; stay at home if you are unwell; see your doctor if you have fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue.
Eating pork: Pork meat remains safe to eat as long as it is handled appropriately and cooked thoroughly.
If you have traveled to an affected area (Mexico, USA) in the last 7 days: Monitor your health; if you develop symptoms seek medical attention; advise the healthcare facility that you have recently been in an area that has reported swine flu.
Travel advisory: WHO has not recommended border screening (entry/exit screening) at this stage; WHO has not recommended travel restrictions to the countries currently experiencing human swine influenza (Mexico and USA) at this stage; and WHO is not recommending any international border closures at this stage.
- Mumps: Swansea University cases reported
- Warning sounded over China's 'debtbook diplomacy'
- Change food production and stop abusing land, major climate report warns
- Supreme Court to hear case on tracking phone location data
- Go Fourth and celebrate! Get ready for fireworks, flags and scorching temperatures (but watch out for those extreme weather warnings)
- UPDATE 3-Chipotle sales beat expectations on new items, digital ordering
- Purported iPhone 6 cases suggest design changes
- Deadly pandemic threatens to sweep the world in hours and kill millions because NO country is fully prepared, report claims
- In the case of Shakil Afridi, none dare call it treason
- Ready fur us? Plucky seal gives seal a frosty reception in stunning image from Sir David Attenborough's new series Seven Worlds... as he warns against blight of 'waste' and says humans have made a tragic, desperate mess' of the planet
- You Cannot Fuck Up Visiting New Orleans
- Horrifying report details sexual abuse of at least 166 children by 43 priests in Colorado over the past 70 years with the youngest victim - a five-year-old girl - warned she would be committing a mortal sin if she reported her rape ordeal
- California officials warn some 44,000 DISNEYLAND visitors may have been exposed to the measles virus at the theme park last week
- Amazon rainforest approaches 'irreversible tipping point' as expert warns soaring deforestation could release 'carbon bomb' into the atmosphere within two years
- Not your average white van man! Globe-trotters reveal how they've turned their vehicles into stunning homes on wheels - complete with living areas and fully-fitted kitchens
- Holiday travel warning for Britons heading to Spain, USA and France - latest update
- Melting glaciers in the Russian Arctic have revealed FIVE new islands hidden beneath the ice
- IndiGo co-promoter Rakesh Gangwal refutes reports of truce with Rahul Bhatia
- Police issue warning to elderly residents after 'professional' gang of masked burglars raid 29 pensioners' homes in ten days spraying elderly victims in the face with 'unknown liquids' and stealing cash and jewellery
- Fears of a major measles outbreak as travellers bring the disease from New Zealand to Australia
WHO warns to see more swine influenza cases reported from new locations around the globe have 674 words, post on at April 28, 2009. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.