To enjoy Ho Chi Minh City safely it is only commonsense to take notice of what the locals advise. Although safety for tourists has improved over recent years normal precautions are necessary. The country’s capital is a bustling, dynamic, trendsetting and industrious city teeming with ample opportunity for the numerous thieves.
Beware the “Motorbike Cowboys”
Be especially careful in the Dong Khoi Street and Lam Son Square area and along the Saigon riverfront, where the motorbike cowboys operate. Sunday night is the busiest with young people showing off their latest designer label clothes and cruising ten abreast on motorbikes.
Motorcycle taxi drivers, on the other hand, may have a tough time but they pass it onto the tourists by harassment and overcharging. Be sure to negotiate a per person rate but only pay $5 per half day with a pro rata tip.
Safety in Your Hotel
Always check the locks on your room and ensure any and all valuables are left in the hotel safe including your best watch and jewelry. Only take what cash and debit card you need for you day or evening out. Safety in Saigon has improved but so has the skill of the numerous pickpockets.
Safety in Traffic
The streets of Ho Chi Minh City are busy in the extreme. You may feel you are taking your life in your hands but watch and follow the locals and you will be fine. The trick is to step into the street and walk slowly across so that drivers drive around you!
- 45th anniversary of Vietnam-Canada diplomatic ties celebrated in Ho Chi Minh City
- Russian Experts Help Vietnam Preserve Corpse of Ho Chi Minh
- Road safety campaign brings fake 'car crash' to city centre
- Speed squeeze on way for scooters in central city?
- Segregated cycle way to be built in city
- "There is no way he has chosen Lincoln City over us!"
- Are Stoke City in first round draw of League Cup and when is it?
- Name the mystery port city to win a prize
- Sabrina Ghayour’s top 5 cities for foodies to visit
- Michael Owen makes Man City Champions League prediction