Expungement of a criminal conviction offers benefits. Learn about 5 benefits for clearing your criminal record in this article.
In Washington State, a criminal conviction can be expunged if you meet the criteria.
Expungement of criminal records is often misunderstood, because there is a lot of misinformation about expungements and what benefits an expungement provides. In Washington State, expungement of a criminal record or criminal conviction is called Vacating the Criminal Conviction. Expungement is the common lay term people are familiar with, while Vacating is the legal name.
People sometimes forget about an old criminal conviction, particularly a minor conviction, until they go after a promotion or try to buy a firearm. And that old criminal conviction pops up. Having a criminal conviction expunged provides benefits beyond merely clearing your record. Following are the five most common benefits of an expungement in Washington State.
After your criminal conviction is expunged, Washington state law permits you to state you have not been convicted for employment purposes. The conviction is removed from the official state criminal history record, and a criminal history check indicates you do not have a criminal conviction. The expungement vacates the criminal conviction, making it easier to apply for a new job or gain a promotion in your existing job.
2. Erase an Unpleasant Past
Many people with a criminal conviction on their record, especially a minor conviction, obtained the conviction as a result of poor judgment many years in the past. They are no longer the same person, but are being disadvantaged as though they were because the conviction is still following them. Clearing a criminal record helps wipe the slate clean.
3. Renting an Apartment or Qualifying for a Home Loan
Expungement does not directly affect these, but it can help. Clearing your criminal record makes it easier to pass a background check. With background checks increasingly common, particularly for renting an apartment, expunging a criminal conviction makes for one less hurdle and less stress.
4. Own a Firearm
In Washington State, one of the criteria for restoring your right to possess a firearm (for some crimes) is whether the criminal conviction that caused suspension of the firearm right has been vacated. Having the conviction expunged allows you to restore your firearm rights and purchase or possess a firearm. This can be a big benefit for hunters.
5. Getting a professional or other license for employment.
Washington State law permits you to state you have not been convicted for employment purposes. However, you might still be required to disclose a criminal conviction, even if expunged, for certain types of licensing requirements. Having the criminal conviction expunged closes the book on it and demonstrates you fully complied with all requirements. Clearing your criminal record also shows you exercised responsibility in taking all legal steps available regarding your conviction.
A criminal conviction can be expunged in a few short weeks in Washington State. Expungement offers a variety of benefits, including clearing your criminal record and removing an unfavorable past. If you have a criminal conviction, then you should take advantage of the legal rights available to you.
- Dominic Raab issues thinly-veiled warning to Russia and China as he condemns 'predatory' hacking attacks on UK and US organisations battling coronavirus - saying criminals and 'hostile states' are exploiting the crisis
- Millions more Americans file for jobless benefits; productivity tanks
- Coronavirus live updates: Gov. Newsom says federal government obligated to help states
- Another 3.2 million Americans filed for jobless benefits last week
- Coronavirus live updates: California and 8 states sue EPA, ‘This is 2020, not 1920’
- Sessions As Attorney General Means Criminal-Justice Reform Is Dead
- Listen live: Supreme Court hears blockbuster battles over Trump financial records
- Trump lawyers urge Supreme Court to shield financial records in blockbuster cases
- Let's Talk Electronic Medical Records (Cont.)
- Trump asking justices to bar demands for taxes, bank records
- Takeaways from the historic Supreme Court arguments over Trump's finance and tax records
- Coronavirus live updates: California and 8 states sue EPA — ‘This is 2020, not 1920’
- Breaking down 'Obamagate,' Trump's latest theory about the 'deep state' and Obama's role in the Russia investigation
- Coronavirus live updates: Cal State virtual switch — sprawling system moves online
- Coronavirus live updates: State issues guidelines for counties to reopen businesses
- Coronavirus live updates: State issues guidelines for counties to reopen
- Cuba slams US over shooting attack on embassy in Washington
- Coronavirus live updates: State guidelines for counties to reopen businesses include no deaths for 2 weeks
- Secret Service unearths overseas fraud ring stealing millions in unemployment benefits
- Non-jury trials could help clear coronavirus backlog, says QC
Expungement –Benefits of Clearing Your Criminal Record in Washington State have 739 words, post on www.articlesfactory.com at November 13, 2008. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.