Ninety-six students were arrested by police at San Diego State University when undercover agents infiltrated and discovered evidence of widespread dealing of marijuana, cocaine and ecstasy.
The operation called Operation Sudden Fall, was launched following an overdose by a female student. One hundred and thirty purchases were noted. Upon being contacted by San Diego State University the DEA and federal government got involved.
Perhaps this is a coming trend in law enforcement, as campus security and police are failing to effectively fight the party scene on University campuses. Often security guards and campus police are very tolerant of University fraternal organizations activities and goings on at many colleges across the country.
This recent infiltration and bust of student organizations may soon become a common trend adding some spice to DEA agents life. Although the university president at San Diego State is taking some heat for allowing the undercover cops on campus, he has dealt with the grief rather well while rightfully defending his decision.
Undercover tactics don’t make Greek organizations feel comfortable, but if they don’t abide by the law, then again why should they? Many Greek organizations are actively pursuing cleaning up their image and bring in drug prevention speakers to deal with the matter.
As a son of a mom who was an alcoholic and drug addict, I am often asked by Greek organizations and Universities to come in and speak about the dangers of substance abuse and encourage responsible behavior.
That being said, we should not fault all Greek organizations, neither the national charters to which these problematic few belonged. Each Greek organization has its own leadership at its particular campus, which must answer to their national charter.
I think the drug bust was a good thing for both America’s college campus and Greek organizations across our universities.
- Ohio State University doctor 'abused 177 male students'
- 10 things you won't want to miss if you're visiting San Diego
- San Diego: 10 great things to do in 'America's Finest City'
- 1 child dies, 3 sickened by E. coli linked to San Diego fair
- First drug bust at Istanbul Airport
- Gatwick Airport ‘drugs bust’ turns out to be piece of cake
- Police make huge drug bust in eastern Turkey
- ‘Drug bust’ at Gatwick Airport turns out to be piece of cake
- UPDATE: Post office drug bust nets huge quantity of crystal meth
- State universities v private universities in Turkey