Nhan Dan/VNA – Minister of Science and Technology Nguyen Quan has called for further assistance from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), particularly in ensuring nuclear power security and safety.
He held a working session with IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano in Hanoi on January 9 where the two sides looked at their past co-operation and exchanged directions for collaboration in the time to come.
- Costs for Ninh Thuan nuclear power project not yet fixed
- Russian contractor fixes costs for Ninh Thuan nuclear power project
- U.S.-India nuclear "breakthrough" could be finalized within year
- N.Korea may be trying to restart nuclear reactor: U.S. think tank
- Singapore helps regional countries promote nuclear safety
At a press conference following the event, Amano and Deputy Minister of Science and Technology Le Dinh Tien presented the IAEA’s role in promoting nuclear application, security and safety and in ensuring non-proliferation of nuclear weapons.
They also provided an insight into the agency’s support to countries which have recently begun developing nuclear electricity, including Vietnam.
This is the second visit by the IAEA Director General to Vietnam, following an earlier trip in October 2011.
As a member of the IAEA since 1978, Vietnam currently chairs the IAEA Board of Governors for the 2013-2014 term.
It was elected as a member of the board for the 1991-1993, 1997-1999 and 2003-2005 terms.