1. The Vietnam President Truong Tan Sang visited and worked twice in Quang Ngai. On April 15th, he visited the island district of Ly Son for provision of inspirations to the islanders to better and harder go fishing for their family economy as well as protect the country’s sovereignty.
On the second visit to Quang Ngai, he spent more time to present gifts and also to express his sorrow at families lost, damaged and injured caused by the seriously heavy flood in mid November, 2013.
2. The commencement of the project of the Urban- Industry- Services, Vietnam- Singapore Industrial Park (VSIP), with the appearance of the Vietnam’s Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung and Prime Minister of Singapore Lee Hsien Loong marks the potential development of Quang Ngai.
VSIP Quang Ngai covers approximately 1,226 hectares. In Phase 1, it is expected to start in 2013-2015 with the total investment of VND 2,631 billion. VSIP Quang Ngai hopes to attract investment at home as well as abroad for further impetus to the development and employment of people in Quang Ngai and the central region.
3. To review the implementation of the Resolution of the Provincial Congress XVIII, Provincial Party Standing Committee of the Provincial Party Committee held the conference of the 14th open session to evaluate the half-term missions in undergoing the 3 breakthroughs, 2 majored tasks and a number of issues on Party building.
4. The provincial GDP increased by 12.1% and the State budget revenues estimated at VND 30,000 billion, equal to 137.1% of the yearly estimate. GDP per capita increased from $ US 1,728 in 2012 to $ US 2,040 in 2013.
5. Kicking off the project of Da Nang – Quang Ngai highway and upgrading, expanding the Highway 1 at the portion running through Quang Ngai province is considered the important step in connecting the major economic zones across the central region of Da Nang, Quang Nam, Quang Ngai.
Moreover, they create investment opportunities for the Central Region when opening the international shipping between Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia through the East – West economic corridor.
6. The historic flood in mid November caused heavy losses of life and property, killed 16 people, injured 46 people, 931 houses collapsed and unroofed, over 100 classrooms, health centers destroyed, more than 5,000 hectares of crops, agricultural land damaged, erosion, sediment, etc, 19,000 tons of rice and wheat were sunk into the muddy water, 280,000 cattle and poultry washed away, many irrigation works, roads, network of electricity and telecommunications throughout the province were seriously damaged. The total value of losses and damages was counted VND 1,760 billion.
7. The Week of sea and island culture and the ceremony of Khao Le The Linh Hoang Sa were successfully organized in Ly Son island. This is the first time for Quang Ngai to hold the significant event in the province to pay tribute to soldiers and Paracel war heroes who sacrificed their lives for the sovereignty of Paracels and Spratlys.
Especially on this occasion, Quang Ngai announced the decision by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism to recognize this Festival as the intangible cultural heritage and the An Vinh village temple in Ly Son district as the national monument where recruited soldiers for the Hoang Sa flotilla.
8. The defense Rehearsal was demonstrated in 2013 (PT-13) to show and mobilize province’s forces from the whole political system, At the PT-13, Quang Ngai military performed demonstrations at commune and ward level in combination with practicing live fire.
9. Tra Bong cinnamon is one of 8 Vietnam specialties to set the Asian record selected by the Asian Record Organization.
Tra Bong cinnamon is prized for its special smell, its contain of high amounts of oil that is the main reason why it is so popular in the market at home and abroad. Currently cinnamon oil and fine art items made from Tra Bong cinnamon bark such as vases, cups, tea boxes, toothpicks, incense, etc are meeting high market demands.
10. The Athlete Pham Thi Binh, born in Quang Ngai won the Gold Medal for Vietnam at SEA Games 27. In marathon for women, surprisingly Binh stepped the finish line with her barefoot in the time of 2 hours 46 minutes 03 seconds.