HA NOI (VNS) — Viet Nam favours developing nuclear energy for peaceful purposes and remains committed to ensuring nuclear security and safety, as well as the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons, Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung has said.
The prime minister made this commitment while receiving Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano in Ha Noi yesterday.
- US wants to assist Vietnam in civil nuclear projects
- US wants to assist Vietnam in civil nuclear projects: Countryman
- Iran parliament approves nuclear deal bill in victory for Rouhani
- US warns governments, bankers Iran sanctions still in place
- U.S. warns governments, bankers Iran sanctions still in place
Prime Minister Dung expressed his pleasure over the past collaboration between Viet Nam and the IAEA, saying he hoped that the agency would provide continued support for the country, especially in adopting nuclear energy for use in medicine and agriculture, as well as training personnel, building institutions and developing policies.
The IAEA head praised the positive role Viet Nam has played in promoting nuclear security and safety in the world, citing the country’s participation in a range of international treaties on nuclear energy, including on nuclear power.
Yukiya Amano stressed that Viet Nam is one of IAEA’s important partners, pledging to support the country in deploying civil nuclear energy projects, thus helping it fulfil its UN millennium development goals. — VNS