Cambodia’s National Election Committee (NEC) will open official election documents “Safety Packages A” to verify the election results in eight polling stations in Battambang province.
According to an order of the Constitutional Council of Cambodia released on August 26, the opening of the safety packages will be held at the NEC’s headquarters in Phnom Penh at 8am on August 28.
- Vietnam rejects rumor of deploying weapons to border with Cambodia
- Vietnam province urges Cambodian authorities to prevent extremist violence on border
- Vietnam seeks solutions to Cambodian extremists
- Vietnam condemns Cambodian extremists for border intrusion
- Vietnam opposes Cambodian extremists’ attack on people in border province
The move follows complaints by the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) about the initial results of the country’s general election on July 28.
Earlier on August 25, the NEC opened safety packages in 13 polling stations in Kratie province.
According to the NEC, the opening of the packages showed that the results recorded in the 13 polling stations are not different from the announced election results.
Initial results of the July 28 general election showed that the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) won 68 of the 123 parliamentary seats, with the CNRP taking the remaining 55 seats.
However, the CNRP has disputed this outcome. The CNRP insists on the establishment of an independent committee of representatives from civil social organisations and the UN to investigate election alleged irregularities.
The official election results are set to be released on September 8, according to NEC.-VNA