(VOV) – The 2013 Mekong River Delta bicycle race will begin in Ho Chi Minh City on August 12, featuring 19 domestic teams as well as the amateur American representatives Tamouh.
The 22nd running of the race offers professional male Vietnamese athletes the chance to test themselves against international amateurs.
- This holiday season, express your gratitude for youth sports
- Changes should be made to Vietnam’s national sports festivals to avoid waste: officials
- Former sports leaders advise Vietnam to stop organizing national sports festivals
- How much has been wasted on National Sports Festival in Vietnam?
- Pham Thi Binh to retire from marathon race
From HCM City, the race route winds through Mekong River Delta provinces including Long An, Ben Tre, Tra Vinh, Dong Thap, Can Tho, Soc Trang, Tra Vinh, Ca Mau, and Kien Giang. After a total length of 912km, it will end in Long Xuyen city on August 28.
Leading Vietnamese cyclists like Bui Minh Thuy, Le Van Duan, Mai Nguyen Hung, Truong Nguyen Thanh Nhan, Ho Van Phuc, Trinh Duc Tam, and Nguyen Thanh Tam are all contenders for the victor’s yellow jersey.
The race boasts a prize pool totalling VND300 million. Its winner will take home VND25 million while the blue jersey of the runner-up represents VND7 million. The overall team champion earns VND25 million.
The race is part of preparations for the 2014 National Sports Festival and the 27th SEA Games.