All three members in a family in the central province of Quang Binh have sought aid from the community after a house fire in which they suffered severe burns.
The fire destroyed the entire house and their belongings. It was caused by an electrical accident involving a can of petrol used for a nearby transceiver station run by Viettel. The accident caused the fire to spread throughout the house very quickly.
The residents of the home, Hoang Quoc Vu, 31, and Nguyen Thi Luu, 29, suffered burns of 60-70% of their bodies, while the son Hoang Nguyen was less severely injured. Luu was in the 7th month of pregnancy. The victims were treated at Hue Central Hospital.
Dr. Le Dinh Phong, Deputy Head of the Burn Faculty, said that each victim will have to undergo anywhere from five to seven skin grafts, which will cost about VND150 million, excluding other fees. Only Mrs. Luu and her son are covered under insurance, the husband is not.
Current fees for their daily healthcare are substantial. So far they have been able to borrow money from friends and family, but as their treatment continues they will need support from others. To make things worse, they have no home to return to.