(VOVworld) – Nguyen An Nien, an expert from the Ho Chi Minh City’s science and technology association, has said Vietnam’s participation in the 1997 United Nations Convention on Non-Navigational Uses of International Watercourses will facilitate the perfection of water planning and management in Vietnam.
- Role and rationale of 1997 UN Watercourses Convention
- Convention 1997 - the legal basis for the protection of water resources in Vietnam
- Vietnam needs to participate in the United Nations Convention on watercourses
- Vietnam to join UN treaty on non-navigational use of int'l watercourses
- Vietnam to join UN watercourse convention
He was speaking on Monday in the northern port city of Hai Phong at a national consultation on the convention held by the Vietnamese Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, the World Wide Fund for Nature, and the Centre for Sustainable Development of Water Resources and Adaption to Climate Change. He said that Vietnam lies in the basin of many big rivers so joining the convention is vital to prevent floods in downstream areas caused by massive water discharge in rain seasons. He expected that the membership helps ensure water for irrigation and development in deltas and protect the ecological environment in dry seasons.