Three people were killed and 29 others injured after a Mai Linh bus plunged off a mountain road and fell into a five-meter abyss in Quang Nam central province on Sunday.
Thousands of local people gathered at the scene to watch the rescue efforts with some acting as amateur rescuers. Three cranes have been deployed to tug the badly-damaged vehicle.
- 15th "Golden moments" program on domestic routes from Vietnam Airlines
- VN claims Southeast Asia top spot on Conde Nast Traveler list
- Vietnam province offers 'cyclo' service to tourists
- Vietnam fines 303 illegal Chinese workers in Ha Tinh Province
- Consumption tax increase requires corresponding anti-smuggling measures
“When the bus reached Vinh Dien street, I heard people shouting and screaming in panic and after that the bus overturned,” said Nguyen Duc Tam, 28, a survivor hailing from Dak Lak.
Police identified the bus driver as Phan Luu, 45, from Da Nang city. He just suffered slight injuries.
In a separate accident in Ba Ria – Vung Tau the same day, a truck driver lost control and crashed into two motorbikes on the opposite direction, killing six people, one of them died on way to hospital.
The mishap occurred at 2:30pm on a section of highway 44 that runs through An Ngai commune, Long Dien district.