VietNamNet Bridge – Of more than 500 prisoners who were sentenced to death, over 170 people will be executed by lethal injection from June 27, said Deputy Minister of Public Security Dang Van Hieu.Poison for lethal injection revealed
- Doctors upset of being forced to be involved in lethal injections
- Poison for lethal injection revealed
- Army and Police join hands in protecting national security and defense
- Citizen ID cards can be used in place of passports: official
- Exercise to raise troops' capabilities of coping climate change held in Hung Yen
Hieu said the number of people who were sentenced to death since the enforcement of the Law on Criminal Law Enforcement in 2010 (taking effect from 1/7/2011) is more than 500. However, the formalities for execution have been completed for over 170 people only.
When the procedure is completed, the Ministry of Public Security will enforce execution by lethal injection from June 27. The time required for dealing with these cases is not defined, said Deputy Minister Dang Van Hieu, because there are many specific issues that may arise.
Hieu said at this moment, three out of five facilities for implementing lethal injection are ready. The training of officers has also been completed.
Rejecting the worry of difficulties that may arise during the transportation of prisoners from prisons to the execution enforcement sites, Hieu said: “It’s not difficult. We are able to ensure that the work is done.”
He also said that the Ministry of Public Security is considering a plan to facilitate the enforcement of execution by lethal injection.