(VOVworld)- The U.S. Congress on Friday formally counted the Electoral College ballots and confirmed President Barack Obama’s reelection victory on November 6.
The official count in Congress, which is required by the Constitution, affirmed Obama’s 332 to 206 win in Electoral College ballots over Republican candidate Mitt Romney. 270 ballots are required to win the presidency. The vote turnout also confirmed that Joe Biden won the post of US Vice President. The current U.S. presidential election system features the electoral college. U.S. voters cast their ballots for a slate of electors of the U.S. Electoral College, who in turn elect the president and vice president. Obama will take the oath of office for a second term later this month.
- US is weighing the possibility of providing weapons to Ukraine’s military
- Major prisoner swap in Ukraine bolsters shaky truce
- New Pentagon chief pays surprised visit to Afghanistan
- Court temporarily halts U.S. policy of detaining asylum-seeking mothers, children
- New U.S. defense chief in Afghanistan seeking 'lasting' success