Vietnam’s capital city of Hanoi has been rated as the cheapest destination for travelers in summer 2012 (from June 1 to August 31), according to the US website TripAdvisor.
- MH17 tribunal idea is 'counterproductive': Russian official
- 48th AMM, related meetings to take place in early August
- TripAdvisor: Hanoi ranked first among world's top 10 most affordable tourist destinations
- 'Nearly half' of MH17's wreckage still in Ukraine
- Vietnam Airlines to launch new process for web check-in
Hanoi stood out of the surveyed cities from 48 countries which receive the largest number of visitors in the world
Criteria for ranking (TripIndex) is based on the combined costs for two people touring and staying one night at a four-star hotel, cocktails at a five-star hotel, a two-course dinner with a bottle of wine, and 2-mile long taxi fares.
Asia has six cities among the top ten cheapest localities while European cities are the most expensive with London staying atop.
The cheapest hotel room goes to Bangkok at US$81 per night, while the most expensive goes to London, at US$362 per night.
The top five cheapest cities:
Hanoi, Vietnam (US$141.12)
Beijing, China (US$159.05)
Bangkok, Thailand (US$161.90)
Budapest, Hungary (US$193.78)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (US$194.43)
The top five most expensive cities:
Oslo, Norway (US$499.91)
Zurich, Switzerland (US$485.82)
Paris, France (US$480.76)
Stockholm, Sweden (US$472.36).